Only a HOT WASH for Cloth??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried a warm wash (I'm weaning myself from the one hot wash) per Andrea's suggestion and everything came out fine! Woo hoo! Next time I'll do a cold wash!

I'm so glad to see that other mamas are walking the path of the one wash system. Think of the water we're saving!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 04:22 PM

SHout oxy power eh? You learn something new every day! Good thing too, I just ran out of oxiclean for reg laundry (did wonders on summer clothes I took out of storage) maybe I'll try this new stuff (is it new?)

I think some people do equate 'stained" with "dirty" or "not as clean" and I myself have to catch myself. I'm more worried about detergent residue, leftover odors, and money (water) consumption.

Anyone else experimenting?
#33 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chellemarie
Any stained diapers that come out of the dryer lay in my back car window to sun out
Oh my Gosh! What a fabulous idea!!! I live in an apartment and no line drying is allowed at all. I never even thought of putting them in my car!

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you!!!

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#34 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseMomme
Anyone else experimenting?
Yes...I am now washing a load in hot as we speak. No rinse, no soak. I had to take a deep breath without that cold pre-rinse...it just seems wrong. For the record, I'm not regular with my soaks; I just do a baking soda soak every once in a while to help with our hard water. I will do one extra hot rinse and look for bubbles, just a thing with me since I've battled stinky hemp

I also equate stains with unclean.
#35 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 08:27 PM

Hi all ...first post on the diapering board...Heeeaattherr...try those nice little fleece jobbies...the turds just flop into the toitee.....Otherwise the whole thing goes into a diaper pail. I run it to the basement once a day and wash 1-2 times a week in hot water and dry.
And ya wanna know the really gross thing...I wash my other whites at the same time.

Ellen
#36 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 08:57 PM

I do a cold rinse and a hot wash. Thats it. I never have stains. I use Sportwash.
#37 of 48 Old 06-29-2003, 03:38 AM

I used to use my machine as a wet pail, but I got over that quickly :LOL.

Once I started using a dry pail, I just threw everything in the wash and washed on hot. I've had no stains or any other problems.
#38 of 48 Old 06-29-2003, 10:43 PM

Funny, I used to always wash my diapers this way til everyone online convinced me I was doing it wrong LOL. Though I added a prerinse (not a soak) because one day I opened up that washer while it was agitating and saw how full of sewage the water was and decided they needed a good rinsing first!!! I still don't understand eveyrone's hang up with stains though, they are diapers for crying out loud. I used to just sun them every now and then, but mostly I didn't care bc they were just going to get full of poo again. Now with toddler poo, I don't get many stains in general anyway. I think I'm gonna go back to my old way, just one wash (with a small prerinse still, I usually do this on a medium load setting instead of XL). And now that I've about gotten the amount of detergent needed in the hard water here down, I can finally get rid of the extra rinse I've been using to help cut down on build up.

PS Oxiclean and the imitations can be used in cold water....just dissolve it in some hot water first to activate it. When I use it, I usually start the load running with hot water and hold the cup of oxi under it, so it gets in some hot water. Then I fill it with cold or warm. HTH

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#39 of 48 Old 06-29-2003, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by truebluexf
I still don't understand eveyrone's hang up with stains though, they are diapers for crying out loud. I used to just sun them every now and then, but mostly I didn't care bc they were just going to get full of poo again.

It's just a thang with me...I'm anal : Stainfree dipes = clean dipes.

Quote:
PS Oxiclean and the imitations can be used in cold water....just dissolve it in some hot water first to activate it. When I use it, I usually start the load running with hot water and hold the cup of oxi under it, so it gets in some hot water. Then I fill it with cold or warm. HTH

Thank you for this tip. Though I still have to get over that ingrained warning that Oxyclean will destroy hemp, I like knowing that oxyclean can be used in cold

BTW, where is this proof that those oxygen bleaches will eat away hemp?
#40 of 48 Old 06-30-2003, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Elana - i can't believe how young your mom looks.

One hopt wash is all I do. Ocscaisionally I will do a quick wash if they are way nasty but usuallyjust one hot wash.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#41 of 48 Old 06-30-2003, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Did a load of dipes last night - probably put too much in there, but have only 4 diapers to sun out of 28 or so (I know . . . I know . . . no more than 24 in a standard washer . . . ). No oxygen cleaner yet - payday is the 1st!
#42 of 48 Old 06-30-2003, 07:50 AM

tried it myself last night, only a hot wash.
not bad So far so good
i am so glad you started this thread Heather, it's been quite an eye opener to all!

#43 of 48 Old 06-30-2003, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I started it too - I looked in the washer at the beginning of the hot cycle and thought, "Will this yellow sludge water ever rinse clear, but when I opened it again following the re-filling after the rinse, I was surprised at how clear the water was. Put my concerns aside regarding fresh dipes. Then, I smelled them before putting them in the dryer and that was the true test. I have a few that go on the line today if the rain will hold off!
#44 of 48 Old 06-30-2003, 10:00 AM

Great idea about disolving the oxyclean in hot THEN add it to the cold wash/soak! I was reading this thread thinking GREAT but my machine wont wash on hot. I have one of those where you can either wash or not wash....those are your only choices. Sometimes the water is cold sometimes lukewarm but never hot.
#45 of 48 Old 06-30-2003, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseMomme
Laura! how did all of that even FIT??
:LOL One of those mysteries we'll never know, like who puts the orange juice back when it's empty! :
#46 of 48 Old 06-30-2003, 10:37 AM

I do a warm wash too with oxyclean (it's pretty warm so it always seems to work) and I seldom have stains. My gas here is high so I don't like washing a lot in hot. I may have to try the shout though. I like the price of oxyclean though. I buy it at Sam's in a HUGE tub that lasts forever for $12 or so.

Does any one else add a downey ball of vinegar? I do this for odor cause a few times in the beginning a few dipes were holding a smell and I wanted to save money and not do two complete washes so I put apple cider vinegar in the ball and they come out smelling nice and fresh.

BTW people all over the net tell me oxyclean breaks down PUL and hemp but I have never had a problem.
#47 of 48 Old 06-30-2003, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i've been doing one long, hot wash for ages now. it is sooooo much easier! (i do rinse/dunk all toddler-poopy-dipes first.)

(never found any "scientific rationale" for a cold prewash.)

i'm always irrationally worried about buildup, so i do a second hot wash without detergent. with this second wash, my diapers come out feeling very soft.

so, 2 hot washes total.
#48 of 48 Old 06-30-2003, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

My cold prewash has always been to lift stains before they set in. And it works! Just looking for shortcuts!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page