Only a HOT WASH for Cloth??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm at my grandmother's home over our vacation and she doesn't 'go' for the dual washing (she is a penny pincher to the core). So, I'll tell ya now - I did the 'diaper dunking' afraid of add'l stains.

But get this . . . my mother did my first diaper load (gotta love her) and started it in HOT with regular detergent and some SHOUT Oxygen cleaner. There were 3 or 4 really filthy poopy diapers in there from our trip down (we have discovered that Kenny reacts to car rides with poopies). Well, IT ALL CAME OUT. One wash - and no stains.

CRAZY!

So, anyway . . . not sure if that would be an effective way to clean for those using coin ops, but I was rather impressed that there was not a requirement for a cold pre-soak to get the same effect.

Towards the end of the week there were a few stains that were just sunned easily, but they were minimal. I was just so surprised at how well my dipes did in ONE HOT WASH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 08:44 AM

Wow! That's great. Makes you wonder though if it was the one hot wash or the oxygen cleaner that got them clean without a soak or rinse.

I don't do a soak that often, even here with limestone water, but I always do a cold rinse. I don't have that many stains.
#3 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 09:00 AM

I always do a hot wash without a presoak. (Unless it's been a lonnnnnng time between washing.) Any stained diapers that come out of the dryer lay in my back car window to sun out while I'm at work or get stuffed in pocket diapers.
#4 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 09:01 AM

Heather, I do ONLY ONE HOT WASH!!!! (I do rinse poo completely away before putting a diaper in the pail, though.) For me, part of CDing is for the environment and I couldn't bear to waste water doing extra soaks/rinses/washes-- no way! (Especially since we have a top loader.)

Want to know how I strip diapers? I do a hot wash, no detergent, and dry as usual. My daughter uses them. When it's time to wash again, I check the suds during agitatation and skip detergent completely if I see suds. Dry/use as usual. It seemed horrible at first to use no detergent (and let my daughter wear the dipes), but if there are suds, then there is detergent all ready! It works, too! I was starting to get buildup but it's all gone now! No smells or stains at all here.

My guilty pleasure is drying 2Xs, though . . .I need to break that habit!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#5 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 11:43 AM

A hot wash is all I do. No soaking, no dunking, no rinsing, a dry pail. A few tablespoons of detergent. No stains yet. I use cpf and fitteds mostly.
#6 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 11:51 AM

I only do one wash too - I forgot to run in to switch the temperature so often (and it never made a difference when I forgot) that one day I just said "screw it" LOL and I have tried all different temps hot, warm, cold and none seem to make a significant difference in how the wash comes out. I rarely have stains and when I do they come out in a few more washes anyway, generally. my machine has a cycle with a 30 minute presoak and a second rinse and I use that... but I never worry about switching the temp. anymore.

welcome back, btw. and that's just weird about the perm. press. what's her rationale behind that?

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#7 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by flminivanmama
welcome back, btw. and that's just weird about the perm. press. what's her rationale behind that?
Rationale? To a 71 year old woman set in her ways there need be no rationale . . . it just IS! :LOL :LOL
#8 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherSanders
Rationale? To a 71 year old woman set in her ways there need be no rationale . . . it just IS! :LOL :LOL
71?? That's how old your grandmother is? That's how old my MOTHER is! She looks good, too! Here's her pic: My Mom

Quote:
I have tried all different temps hot, warm, cold and none seem to make a significant difference in how the wash comes out.
I'm going to have to try this . . . the hot washes really increase the gas bill!

#9 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 12:27 PM

That's great Heather!! When I was using prefolds I only used cold water and the sun to get them clean. Those ME dipes hold onto odors more so they need not water. And if it wasn't for our hard water (comes halfway across the state in canals and collects lots of minerals) I'd be able to get away with a single wash. I need to rinse more though.

BTW Welcome back!!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 12:30 PM

One hot wash eh? Today is diaper wash day, may have to try that.

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#11 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 01:21 PM

Heather, thank you SO much for posting this.
Although I'm not cloth-diapering yet, I'm expecting my first in October, and am stuck using the expensive coin-op machines in our building until we move (not for another year or so, it looks like...). When I did the calculations for washing dipes twice (at $1.75/load plus $1.75/45 mins in dryer), the cost was equal to the diaper service out here, and just as expensive as disposables at the warehouse.

I encourage all the wash at home mamas out there to PLEASE experiment with this in the luxury of your very own washing machines; one hot wash would be a godsend to people like me not to mention the environment.
#12 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 01:47 PM

I love Shout Oxy Power. It gets rid of almost all our stains (and stink) when we use it with hot water. But I'm afraid to use it in every load because of all the hemp and what I hear about it eating holes in it. I still feel like I have to do the cold rinse in the beginning, even with the Shout, though. I feel like there is too much poop in the water! lol Or I'd at least have to do an extra rinse.
#13 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I am still not 'seeing' what it is about the oxidization process that would be detrimental to diapers/elastic . . . any chemists out there want to inform li'l ol' me? Y'know how I love to be informed.

Holly, I have grappled with the whole 'does the poop get off' too and thought, well heck, I could dunk if need be in the toilet to save water, but then I wonder how much I'd save. I have several dirties per wash and when I dunk, I always have to flush at least twice.

The dipes that I had were fresh smelling and poop free with one load. Over time? Don't know exactly.
#14 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 02:06 PM

Unless it is the rare poop that doesn't have the majority just roll/fall/peel off (I have a toddler) then we always only 1 hot wash. Going in to the wash there is usually some residue on the diapers, but knock on wood no Stains. Our only stained diaper ever came out of me soaking it all night long in some bac-out.

If it's the rare kind, then I do a cold soak pre-wash.
#15 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 05:18 PM

1 Hot wash, that's all I do I never presoak, use the longest wash cycle, add slightly less then 1/4 scoop detergent and about once a week I add a ball of RLR for good measure.
Dry pail, dunk only when needed (chunky poop), no vinegar, no baking soda, extra rinse, throw in dryer.
I like SIMPLE and I HATE laundry!!!
#16 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 08:19 PM

I like this thread!!

detergentdiva, what's RLR?
#17 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kermit
I still feel like I have to do the cold rinse in the beginning, even with the Shout, though. I feel like there is too much poop in the water! lol Or I'd at least have to do an extra rinse.
Me too! I like to think most of the poo is getting washed away in that first rinse with aggitation. The thought of a long wash with the diapers aggitating in poopy water makes me shiver But I'm weird that way...

Luckily, my dd is one of those poo every 3-4 days kinda gals so I usually only have one load a week with a poopy diaper. But boy! Is it a poopy diaper
#18 of 48 Old 06-26-2003, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I encourage all the wash at home mamas out there to PLEASE experiment with this in the luxury of your very own washing machines; one hot wash would be a godsend to people like me not to mention the environment.
I started out with a coin-op machine. It is easier having your own machine, but it certainly can be done with a coin-op. You can do it! Get yourself some quick(er) drying dipes, try hard to prevent buildup (because strip washes would cost a fortune) and you'll be set!

Quote:
Elena, your mother is beautiful.
Thanks for this, Heather! It made my mom's day when I told her!

#19 of 48 Old 06-27-2003, 12:13 AM

OK, this is really weird. With ds, I only did one hot wash in our front loader with Shaklee detergent and Nature Bright which is a hydrogen-peroxide based whitener, probably not too different from oxyclean. No stains. Now with dd, for some bizarre reason, her poop stains more, so we really need to do a cold short wash followed by a hot - our machine won't do a presoak. Why does her poop stain more? No meds, she's not on solids, my diet isn't really that different, who knows??? And since she's gone from a once every 10 days pooper to a 10 TIMES A DAY pooper, that's a lot of stains!!!! I'd really love to go back to just one wash, especially since we're in the SW and I feel so guilty about all that water, even with a frontloader.
#20 of 48 Old 06-27-2003, 12:55 AM

i did it today!!!!!!!!! one hot wash for our dipes and then out to dry, they look and smell great. same as when i was doing all of the fancy stuff. the only stains are the baby's bf poop stains that we always have and they sun out.

so, it's just one hot wash for us from now on!!!! thanks heather!!!!!!!!!!!!
#21 of 48 Old 06-27-2003, 10:08 PM

WOOHOO!!!!!
It worked Heather! 1 hot wash with a smidge of Windfresh and a scoop of All oxygen stuff. Heck, I think the diapers came out cleaner then they normally do.

From the bottom of my wallet- Thank You!(we have city water, it's only slightly cheaper then buying Evian to do laundry!)
#22 of 48 Old 06-27-2003, 10:20 PM

HAHAHA! I do approximately 12 loads of laundry a week, and usually 2-3 loads of diapers. I wash my diapers the same way I wash my clothes, except I change the water temp. Cold for clothes, hot for diapers.
Simple, effective......
#23 of 48 Old 06-27-2003, 11:23 PM

Wow, I've got to try this w/ the next diaper wash. I usually do a cold rinse, then hot wash, and then another rinse. I've been thinking of getting rid of the first rinse as most of her poo comes off anyway. And since I've moved I don't seem to need baking soda as much now. I do a viniger rinse about every other time.
#24 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 01:06 AM

I do one hot wash with Melaleuca Detergent and brightener, and vinegar in a downy ball, and then TRY to remember to go in and turn the dial to cold before the rinse starts. I think a cold rinse gets the soap out better than hot, especially with soft water.

Been working great for over 2 years, and I honestly don't ever change that routine. No stripping or anything. The occasional line dry if it's not too humid out.

Laura
#25 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 02:35 PM

That's it...I'm going to one wash only. Even with two washes our dipes still had stains, but they always go away if the dipes are left in the sun. Amazing how that sun works, isn't it?
We're running short on water here (we're on a well), so one wash it is.
#26 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 02:58 PM

I tried a hot wash iwth one load (out of three) last night, first letting it fell with plain water and then agitate to see if there were no suds. There were no suds after a few minutes so I added a lil detergent and finished the cycle. Afterwards it seemed as though where stains were heavy they had set in with hot water. I made it worse by throwing in a hot dryer lol. I think I'm going to stick with cold washes and if I can afford it hot rinses, and rely on just the sun to take out stains completely.
#27 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Jesse - I have a load today to do - but that makes me think it was more the oxygen cleaner than the hot water. I know that hot 'sets' stains - which is why I've always done the cold pre-soak overnight. But oxygen cleaners work with hot water, so . . . had to do it that way.

Hmmm . . . .
#28 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 03:22 PM

I had this thread in mind last night while doing laundry (why I decided to try it) and realized I had no oxi-clean. Oxi-clean has always seemed useless in cold water so I've always used it in hot for overnight soaks as well.

I think that the diapers were just as clean, stains don't mean the diaper is actually dirtier really. If I hadn't been so tired I would have put everything up on the line and I'm sure they would have sunned out (I just hung my fitteds up) esp since it's a hot cloudless day today.

I figure one atvantage to using hot water is the detergent could disolve more easily and therefor leave less residue overall?

ETA I also washed my fitteds in hot in the front loader, and they seemed fine. I washed my older ds's in cold though, I was afraid of water "sealing in" the stink. I think that's why I usually always wash on cold.
#29 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 03:32 PM

Shout Oxy Power is also way more concentrated and powerful than Oxy Clean. Oxy Clean has more fillers.
#30 of 48 Old 06-28-2003, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kermit
Shout Oxy Power is also way more concentrated and powerful than Oxy Clean. Oxy Clean has more fillers.
Good point.

Jesse - yea, I wouldn't doubt they were clean (should have used 'stain free' instead for word choice), but maybe clean and 'stained.' Stained used to bother me until I realized that I haven't met a poop stain the sun couldn't 'take away.'

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page