How Many Covers/Day with Chinese Prefolds? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 07-03-2003, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with a newborn? I'm thinking that I want to get a couple (maybe 3) dozen CPFs, some Kissaluv 0s, and then covers to go on them. How many covers do i need? And, as always, suggestions on which ones are great too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-03-2003, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We had a lot of blowouts until I used pins-- 4-5 covers a day. After pins it was 3 or so covers a day.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 13 Old 07-03-2003, 08:49 PM

Sometimes poop gets on the cover in prefolds. I didn't convert till ds was 3 months so he ws already only pooping once a day. Sometimes it gets on the cover (like today) and sometimes it doesn't.
I love bummis SWW for prefolds, but I like proraps for fitted diapers b/c they are cheaper and they dont have the pocket to slip a PF in (which you wouldn't need on a fitted).

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter

#4 of 13 Old 07-03-2003, 10:53 PM

With pins or snappis I rotated 3 a day (airing out in between) but maybe only soiled 1, if that. If I simply tri-folded I imagine I'd soil more than 3.
#5 of 13 Old 07-03-2003, 11:28 PM

I found four covers and 24 prefolds more than enough to wash every second day. If you have non-absorbent covers like Bumkins, they just airdry and I would rotate two or three throughout the day. In the early newborn period she was dirty at every change but only a little, so no blowouts. Now she saves it all up for one big poo every three days and she's still breastfed so its messy! The cover always gets dirty, but its only one every three days. I probably would change her eight or nine times a day, so I never ran out of prefolds.
#6 of 13 Old 07-03-2003, 11:46 PM

If you use them as wraps, you need a lot of covers, like 8 IMO. I had four when doing that and sometimes ran out of wraps (they needed time to dry).

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#7 of 13 Old 07-04-2003, 12:00 AM

IN the newborn stage, I pinned and went through at least 4 covers a day. I had wished I had more.

Now I only need 2 covers a day usually, unless I just didn't pin a diaper well enough when he decided to poo. I grab one and set the "wet" one over the rail to dry until I grab it for the next diaper change.
#8 of 13 Old 07-04-2003, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

we'll probably use snappis, pins if we have to. although i *really* like the idea of not using either, but oh well. i'm thinking that i'll buy 8-10 newborn/small covers--is that too many?
#9 of 13 Old 07-04-2003, 02:06 AM

Nope. That is no too many. I am of the opinon that a dozen is the right number of covers. I don't pin and I don't snapi but my kids only pooped once a day from early on.

I like to alternate covers with every diaper change so the other can dry before next time.
I also keep the prefold preloaded into the covers to make diaper changing easier. It also gets a higher success rate with other diaper changers like dh and other family members.
I also keep 3 in the diaper bag at all times and the diaper bag lives in the car.

I do tend to be obessive.
Oh, and 4 doz is my personal min on diapers because of what a super soaker #1 was and I don't like to have to wait for diapers to go though the wash in order to have enough clean ones to go on with whatever we are doing. I also like the luxuary of being able to let them sit on the line an extra day or in the drier if I'm being lazy.
#10 of 13 Old 07-04-2003, 08:29 AM

Personally, if you are going to pin or snappi, yes . . . I'd say that 8 to 10 covers is more than you NEED. That said, many mommas here have MORE than that b/c we sort of hoard cute covers in a very 'addictive' fashion.

I usually recommend 6.
#11 of 13 Old 07-04-2003, 10:54 AM

Yes, I agree with Heather about 6 covers. 4 is adequate most days, but 6 will give you some lee way for unexpected blowouts or cranky babies that don't want to let you go even to wash a cover for 2 minutes. HTH

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#12 of 13 Old 07-04-2003, 11:22 AM

We did ok with 6 covers a day in the first couple months are were able to get by with 4 later on. Some days we didn't need all 6 and other days I wish we had 8! Nice thing is that our proraps dry quickly so if need be, I could wash and drip dry in a pinch.

#13 of 13 Old 07-04-2003, 11:54 AM

It is rare that I use more than 2 covers on Kenny now. In fact, there are days when he's in the same Fuzbomb all day long, simply because I do change him when he gets wet and that wool just doesn't hold 'odor' and doesn't feel 'damp' (as in - it might need to air out or something). I love my Fuzbombs!

The Whisper Pants, on the other hand, will feel damp when a diaper has been wet through . . . so those definitely do hang over the back of the changing table in a 'changing' rotation.

The thicker wrap-style covers get rotated as well.

Fleece - much like wool - can stand up to a couple of changes, but I find that it needs to be 'aired-out' as it can 'hold' smell.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page