Leaving the House with Cloth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We *just* switched to cloth, and it didn't even occur to me not to keep him in CDs when going out. It's really not a big deal.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 04:13 AM

Not a chance I go out less cause of CDs... Its not harder, it does take a little more planning, however, like CDs in general...

Like everyone said, a good absorbant dipe and something to put it in when its wet are all you need

And thinking back to before I started CDing, I went out way less. Now that I am a more confident mom, Ive found friends in my community who EN, AP and CD... Its made me a way happier person, and now we have places to go!!
Also, I never forget to pack cute dipes, cause you never know who might get to see them!! I might forget sunscreen, but the dipes are the first thing I pack!

(Hmm in the early days of CD though... The early Gerber days, I remember not going out as much. Regular Gerber prefolds are not shopping dipes for a toddler!!)
#33 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 05:06 AM

I never really thought of it. We have a van, between stores/activities I drop her on the floor and give her a quick change. It really isn't a hassle...
I do use disposables for hiking- just can't backpack everything when you're already toting two kids
I walk everywhere in town (one vehicle) and even then cloth work fine. If you reclinethe stroller seat you can change anywhere!

#34 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 05:18 AM

Absolutely not. If cd's really slowed you down that much, a lot of us probably wouldn't be using them.
#35 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 08:07 AM

Oh, and one more thing to add. Here's a tip for ya: a poopy dipaer does not fare well in a hot car:Puke
#36 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 08:13 AM

When I first started cd'ing I would use disposables when we went out but eventually I got more confident and started using cloth. It really isn't a big deal If I know I won't be able to change him soon I'll put him in a more absorbant diaper with a doubler w/ a virtually leak proof cover like my Alexis featherlites. I've only had I leak in public and that was when I had him in a Fuz easy and it was time to lanolize! Luckily I was only picking the kids up at school and I was able to hurry back home!
#37 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 09:07 AM

Rhys has been in cloth since the beginning. When he was a newborn I changed him every time he pooped (which was often LOL) but I think you would have to do that no matter what kind of diaper you used I mean sure sposies are absorbant but who would leave their baby in poop KWIM?

The diaper would go in my little purple bummis tote when I changed him and I just dumped it into my dry pail when I got home (boy oh boy do I miss the wonderful days of bfed poop )

Rhys is 14 months now and we still use cloth when we go out. I don't change every two hours when we are out but I do change immediately if he poops. I just fold the diaper up and put it in my bummis tote and spray it out when we get home. I haven't ever noticed a smell issue once the diaper is in the tote.

My bummis tote will hold about 3-4 diapers easily so that is enough for a full day trip

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#38 of 39 Old 07-13-2003, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

wow everybody! thanks so much for all your great insight into this issue. Now I am even more excited to get to CD my little one...
#39 of 39 Old 07-13-2003, 10:38 PM

I go out the same when I used sposies cloth is easy to travel with.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page