Leaving the House with Cloth - Mothering Forums

#1 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(btw, I changed my username...I used to be sfgal)

I am a not-yet-mommie, looking for more CD'ing information from you experienced mamas... Now that I am dead-set on CD'ing I am paying a lot more attention to diapering of other's kids than I ever have before (even though I have been around kids my whole life and babysat a lot....just didn't give diapers much thought....LOL)

So... I got to spend last weekend with my nephews (yippee!!!) and though the 2.5 yo is potty trained, the younger one (10 months) is still in diapers....so I got to see some diapering in action... My sil uses sposies. Not having a baby yet, and reading so much on the diapering forum about how often you have to change your baby, I was surprised at how long the sposies would last without needing to be changed (yes, I know that they sposies should be changed every two hours or so just like cloth, and sitting in a pee-filled diaper is nasty...but I think that it is pretty universal for people to leave them on longer than two hours sometimes...).

They are a very active family...always out and about, in and out of the car, visiting family, going to the park, going to the restaurant my sil and my brother own, etc. With all of that activity going on, I was trying to pay attention to when two hours would pass...it comes fast. It seems like it would be a big PITA to have to stop everything you are doing and change a diaper that often when you are out. I can imagine it at home, no problem, but when you are running around everywhere it seems like it would be tough.

Do you find that you don't go out as often using cloth? Do you use different diapers, like FB or HH when you go out? Especially for those of you who used to use sposies, do you feel more tied down to your house with them?

I am just trying to figure out what to expect when I start doing this.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We go everywhere in cloth, geez, we took a 6 week road trip to Alabama with cloth I don't change my dd every 2 hours on the dot. I change her when she's fairly wet. We can take a 2-3 hour shopping trip(usually 3-4 stores) without being changed until we get back home. We can go out to dinner, and then stop by wal-mart without changing BUT with a newborn they tend to poo every time they nurse so need changed more often, but also their diapers are smaller and you can carry more in your diaper bag as well HTH
#3 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 09:30 PM

because a good dipe can go longer than 2 hours. I tend to change less frequently when out, but the dipes hold it. At home, I change when wet.

#4 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 09:35 PM

Hell no!! The last thing I think about when going out is diapers. I usually have to run back in the house "oops! I need to grab a couple diapers!" I'm sure I would be the same if I was a sposie user. Actually I had to use sposies for a week last week until we got our washer fixed and I went out less because I was afraid someone would see my son with a sposie on and I would feel like a wasteful slob :LOL
#5 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 09:38 PM

Cloth doesn't slow us down in the slightest. I just bring cloth diapers along in the diaper bag, just like I would a sposie. I like Stork Savers in the bag as they are easy to use and trim.
#6 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 09:43 PM

I did at first. But after I figured out what dipes did better longer I would plan and then head out. I go all over town now.
#7 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 09:46 PM

I go out all the time in cloth- if I go longer its no big deal, I know what dipe and cover has "staying power." In fact, this is the only day we've been home all day this week. Yesterday I changed diapers twice at a friend's house and snappied on a dipe in 2 seconds and was holding a conversation the whole time. We've gone on vacations using cloth with both kids and its just a part of our active day.

Last night dd and I watched a two-hour Shakespeare play in the park amphitheater and dh took ds aside and changed his diaper elsewhere in the park twice during that time... we go everywhere in cloth and I have four wet bags to prove it LOL

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 09:53 PM

Interesting question.

I think at first it did because I was worried about using cloth out but now I use a pocket dipe when I go out and use prefolds at home. I do use a disposable when I take my son to Physical Therapy two times a week. I just find it easier to do so.
#9 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 10:03 PM

i don't usually give it a second thought... I change him before i leave and make sure I walk out the front door with 2 to 3 clean dipes and some baggies. I have never found it to be inconvenient. And yes, I even take them on vacation...no big deal, really. It's never crossed my mind to go out and by disposies for any reason...

I think you'll do fine It's kinda like breastfeeding or homebirthing, it's just what you do. I've never thought *gee, I wish I could give him a bottle* or *get me to a hospital for drugs!* Once you've established a thought process it all just seems natural.
#10 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 10:12 PM

Well I'll come clean and admit that NO, it didn't make me stay home more, but YES, I did tend to slide back to 'sposies when I knew I would be out for a while. I just didn't want to be lugging around a dirty CD in a baggie in my stroller basket or diaper bag. I have enough stuff with me at all times--if the dipe isn't on her buns, then I don't want it in my bag! LOL! That said, I am getting better at it--like someone mentioned, you figure out which are your most reliable dipes and which ones are trim enough that it won't be a problem to store if you need to. I probably do cloth about 50/50 now when I got out. I always keep 'sposies in the car though--just in case I run out the door and forget an extra CD! (With 2 small kids and being 8mo pg, I tend to forget things! LOL! I know you're all surprised!)
#11 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 10:12 PM

No - cloth diapering definitely does not slow us down! I don't really think about it anymore. I AM happier when the poopy diapers happen at home, but if we're out it's not any huge deal.

I do wish I had several more reliable stuff bags. And covers now that blueberries are in season. Nothing like a pint of blueberries a day to keep that toddler system moving!
#12 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 10:12 PM

when they get older they don't seem to pee as much when out and about anyway.... but we go and do everything - truthfully I don't get out much except for therapy and playdates anyway b/c it's too hard with all three - it's not like I'm going to take them to walk the mall or anything LOL

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#13 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 10:21 PM

nak :

No way does it slow us down! Really, it's a non-issue.

I have found it's no different than using sposies. Get yourself a good wet bag (if you want cute) or a ziplock (if you don't care) and go for it. The only difference is instead of throwing the used dipe away, it goes in the wet bag.
#14 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 10:22 PM

I'll second the "hell no"! I try to think up reasons to go out and show off her cute cloth diapers It's never slowed us down a bit.

and who went to Alabama??? I'm from Alabama!! I Alabama
#15 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 10:23 PM

Griff and I go out all the time! I don't think CDing slows us down. I'm a pro at changing him on the fly. Recently I posted about doing a mid-air change twice in one day due to lack of facilities and distance from my car - I just held him up with one hand and changed with the other!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#16 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by funshine
Recently I posted about doing a mid-air change twice in one day due to lack of facilities and distance from my car - I just held him up with one hand and changed with the other!
Now that I must see!

#17 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 10:51 PM

I use FBs when we go out and they will last longer than 2 hours. After a couple of hours i need a break anyways so it isn't hard to stop for a moment and change a diaper. Plus, we usualy aren't out for more than a few hours because we all get tired and hungry, especially ds. I like to use Fuzzi Bunz in the diaper bag because they don't take up much room and their skin doesn't get wet sitting in them. If you just couldn't stand using cloth when you go out you could always use sposies in the diaper bag. But truthfully, it isn't any harder at all.
#18 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 11:32 PM

I'm out and about so often, I've thought about forwarding my mail to my CAR!: We hardly ever use covers now and we're still all over. i keep a big (reg. size) diaper bag in the car and usually a midget one around the store with me. I'm really cheap so we use the extra Wal-Mart bags for wet bags. When we get home evrything gets hauled up stairs( I always bring the cutest dipes w/me in hopes of converting) clean goes back in the drawer and the dirties get hosed in the tub and wet get tossed in the pail. Sounds like a process but really it's not. Plus that's probably the only time i get to pee by myself.lol
#19 of 39 Old 07-11-2003, 11:50 PM

I've used prefolds, fitteds, and all in ones while out. I try to make sure ds has an absorbent diaper on when we leave. I just change him when he needs it which maybe longer than 2 hours or just 30 minutes. He likes it when I change him in the trunk. He likes to look up at the trunk light and all the wires up there. I just stash the dirty diapers in a bag in the trunk and take it in with me when I go back into the house.
#20 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 12:21 AM

If I'm going to be out for a long time, I put her in a disposable.
#21 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 12:33 AM

I don't think that cloth slows us down at all. I just make sure Mary-Grace has on an absorbent dipe on. I check her dipe every so often and change when she gets wet. I use a Wal-Mart bag to hold dirty dipes but you could always get a nice wet bag if you want.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#22 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 12:41 AM

When I started CDing I admit I did use disposables when we were going out for long periods of time. Now I know why I did, my CDs were not properly broken in! Now, my dipes are much more absorbant and we can go longer without leaks. I also have figured out which covers can take the abuse of longer times between changes. So now, nothing holds us back but back then, yes CDs did slow us down some.
#23 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 12:57 AM

Quote:
truthfully I don't get out much except for therapy and playdates anyway b/c it's too hard with all three
I was gonna say the same thing. We don't go out less because of cloth, we go out less because it's so hard to take three out. We have been getting out a bit lately since it's my first summer as a SAHM. Trying to go to the beach and stuff and cloth is not a problem.
#24 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 01:27 AM

Good question! I'm a late comer to the CD world, having started when my DD was almost a year old. Even with disposies, I changed her every 2 hours because I hated the thought of her in a wet, soggy diaper.

When we 1st started CDing, though, going out was a big source of anxiety. We've never had a leak ('k, except the time I forgot to seal a PUL pocket diaper before the 1st use!). I do stick to the 2 hour rule when out usually (because of the comfort factor), but the diaper could hold up longer.

I think, like anything new, it just takes practice to build your confidence. Would you believe that DH and I felt I "had" to pump in order to go out . . . it was soooooo hard for me to NIP (not because of shyness, but getting the right positioning) so I always went out with a bottle or two of expressed breastmilk. I can't imagine doing that now!

But, I will admit that when we go on vacation in September, we'll be using disposables. The thought of having to find a w/d on a trip is a bit daunting to me, coupled with the fact that I'll have to do reserach on the water. Thankfully, it will only be for a week!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#25 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 01:27 AM

It doesn't keep us in either - I just make sure he's dry when we leave and I bring a few extra. The only big downside is poop, but Cole very rarely poops in public so I'm usually home when that happens. I would not want to have to deal with rinsing and transporting a poopy diaper at the grocery store. Lucky for me, it hasn't happened yet. Now I've probably jinxed myself and he'll have a monster poop tomorrow at Lowe's or something. :

I do have to admit, though, that we just go out on a few short trips a day. It's rare when we are out all day or even for more than 2 hours at a stretch. But we were like that even when we used sposies.
#26 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 01:38 AM

Not anymore! Even DH takes FiFi out in cloth! The only thing I do differently is I choose a really good thick diaper (I have a certain Cuddlebuns that is so thick it can work without a cover for a long car trip!). I used to put her in a Bummis or Alexis - but sometimes it is just too hot for her - so we go coverless. Now that she is older - she will tell me the minute she pees. I might have to rethink my strategy for a newborn - but I certainly wouldn't let cloth slow you down!
#27 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 02:03 AM

Everything seems daunting when you first start doing it with your new baby. Be it nursing, nursing in public, changing, etc.
After doing whatever it is a few times you realize just how easy these things are.
If you are starting out using cloth from the beginning it will be all you "know".
Plus as some have said you bring the cutest diapers with you in hopes of scoring a convert or 2.
#28 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 02:11 AM

It hasn't held me back at all. If we're going to be out for more than two diaper changes, or if I expect to be somewhere that DS will be particularly wiggly during a diaper change I use Fuzzi Bunz. They're more absorbant, so he can wear one for a bit longer, and they're easier to put on and off than a fitted and cover. It's one less thing to snap!
#29 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 02:29 AM

Oh @%@ no!
#30 of 39 Old 07-12-2003, 04:08 AM

not at all now, but when i was first starting out with Ella i was worried, she would leak, or i wouldn't have enough extra ones in the bag. I did forget my dirty wet bag once, but never had a leak.
i didn't go out much in the beginning d/t Ellie being born in Jan and it so cold/snow etc.
it is so easy now, even dh doesn't even think twice about going out. it's like second nature to us now.

Great thread! it will be very helpful to new cd'ing mamas

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page