Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know almost nothing about it and am kind of curious about the "how" and "why"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There is a whole subforum (I think that is the term)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=227

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-adama View Post
There is a whole subforum (I think that is the term)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=227
I know, but still confused . . . . doesnt "explain" realliy, unless I'm missing it
Old 01-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Banned

"How" and "Why".

We started pottying DD at about 4 weeks. I knew about from people I met in the home birth group. Most people hold newborns and small babies over something, either a potty bowl or the toilet, wash basin or bath. DD didn't like that, but by 8 weeks I had tried her sitting on the potty bowl (it fits between you knees or in your lap), facing me, with my knees up, and a pillow behind her back for support.

First I had to work out how frequently she went. One of the Infant pottying books suggested that you put the baby naked on a towel (with another towel covering baby to keep him warm), and just record every wee or poo after one of the morning feeds. DD weed about every 10 min (not a big deal, she was only awake about 40 min to half an hour after a feed).

So we started offering a potty (putting her on the potty) every 10 min after feeds. In the early months she she squirmed and grunted before pooing, so that was easy. She loved watching us while she sat on the potty for a couple of minutes, or less. Within a week or so she was dry after every nap (not night-time, although she is often dry at night since about 6 months of age). We found she hated being wet in those early days (despite using disposables), and she always let us know when she had weed for that reason.

We have had a great catch-rate. She wets about 2-3 times a day, and has since about 4 months. She is often dry at night(we offer a potty whenever she wakes up). And, of course, she wees a lot less often now, is often dry for several hours when we go out, without being pottied. Another positive is, some of my best friends now are the mums in the local potty group!

Why? A lot of reasons. I worked as a nanny for years, and I felt awful for the children, running around with heavy or pooey nappies, and getting red bottoms. Yuck, would you like it? I also hated cleaning up messy pooey bottoms, and getting poo everywhere.

Between 2 months and 5 months we had 4 pooey nappies (and DD pooed 5-6 times a day until she was about 7 or 8 months old), and between 5 months and 11 months we've had 3 pooey nappies. A pooey nappy usually means a shower or a bath! We have used cloth nappies since about 6 months, non water proof without covers, even at night, and we change them as soon as she wees. We own 10 nappies and 3 pairs of training pants (non water proof). We wash nappies about every 3 days or so. And we only use cold water on a wash cloth to wipe after a poo - as it goes straight in the potty, and there is usually a wee afterwards, there is very little mess anyway!

DD has never had a nappy rash. She likes her little potty bowls, and they are handy, we bring them everywhere to potty. She loves being read to on the potty, and is an avid "reader"! At home we sometimes walk around to potty. By the kitchen windows or in front of the washing machine. DH often potties DD when he is at home, and almost always at night. He likes to potty her in front of the mirror, doing funny faces. I think it has made us very close, and for a long time, when we had breast feeding issues, it gave me something positive to focus on. It is something we share, special time, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

EC is all about YOUR baby and YOUR relationship. Nobody else's EC experience will be just like yours!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 AM

nak

We ec'd with ds1. He held his pee through the night by 8 months which was also about the time he consistently pooped in the potty. It took him a while longer to be consistent with peein in the potty... he was between 18=20 months.

I really enjoyed the connection with him as well as the lack of poopy diapers to change!

We started ec with ds2 and he was on track with most poops making it in the potty by 6 months, but then he had a surgery which resulted in lack of muscle control/hypotonia. He lost his ability to control his functions, so ec is much more difficult with him now. His muscle control is getting better, but he has gotten used to wearing diapers and will even hold it till he gets a diaper on before he'll go. Once in a while we'll make it to th potty for a poop. I am planning lots of naked timeoutside thissummer to help him become more aware of his body.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 AM

Moving this to the Elimination Communication forum.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:37 AM

There's a lot of how and why information here at DiaperFreeBaby.org
Old 02-01-2009, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually love this site for a quick down and dirty introduction to how easy EC can be: http://www.oviandlio.totwindow.com/i...m?fa=otherinfo

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:29 AM

you've gotten good responses so far. i'll say quickly that "how" is by following your baby's cues, using your intuition, and understanding your baby's patterns/timing. just as babies know when they're hungry and tired and can communicate those needs to their mother (and sometimes mom 'just knows' and can meet the need before they cry) they know when they need to pee and poo also, and can communicate those needs as well. and if mama is paying attention, she will develop an intuition about elimination just as she has about all her baby's other needs.
the "why" to me is more of a "why not" - if you know your baby has the knowledge that they need to go, and they can communicate that, why wouldn't you offer them a place to relieve themselves? it is only because we perceive babies as "not knowing about" or "not caring about" their elimination that we can be comfortable allowing them to soil themselves. once you realize that premise is false, it's hard to do otherwise.

fringe benefits include a typically much earlier age of potty independence (18 mo- 2 yo is typical). it's also better for the environment - whether you use cloth or sposies, you're going to use fewer diapers over a shorter period of time if you EC. no diaper rash - a baby who is changed immediately and generally relieves him/herself outside of a diaper is a baby with clean, healthy skin that is irritation free. knowing your baby's elimination habits also means you are tuned in very acutely to changes that could signal problems - for example, dark urine can be a sign of dehydration, but is much more difficult to detect in a diaper than in a potty.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 AM

How: put baby on potty as time and schedules allow.
Why: why not

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

User Tag List