tricks to make future potty training easier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2009, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a 14 month old boy who has been partially EC'd since he was just a couple of months old. We used to catch lots of his pees but now mainly just catch his poos, he generally doesn't pee in the potty except when he's on it to poo anyway. This is partially due to the fact that I'm pregnant and don't put him on it as often as before, but also because we switched to disposables for his ongoing diaper rash (and the convenience, I confess). I'll be trying cloth diapers again soon for financial reasons and that should help us catch more pees since we'll be changing him much more often then when he's in disposables & therefore putting him on the potty more.

It's really hit me how quickly he's growing though and soon I"ll want him to be potty trained. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips that I can start doing now to make potty training easier later & to make it more likely that he potty trains earlier? I see in another thread under "toddlers" that lots of boys potty train around the 3+year mark and that is a lot longer than what I was imagining for my little guy. Is it reasonable to think I can have him out of diapers (at least during the day) by 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 PM

I think once you switch to cloth, that should help. Just be sure and change soiled dipes as soon as possible, and if you catch him right after he goes you can put him on the potty and direct him to go in there.

Just keep communicating with him, even if you can only do part time or a couple times a day. Best time to catch pees is right after naps and eating (sometimes during eating too!).

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 AM

My DD started taking herself to the potty at home, when nakkey-butt, at around 15 months or a little earlier. Although she's a very agile baby (walked at 10 months, early but not crazy early) she couldn't really get herself onto the potty before about 14 months. Since you've been ECing part-time your DS probably knows what the potty is for. If you leave him bare-bottomed when you're at home (if you can) with a potty readily available he may just figure it out.

My DD is now 16 months old, and we still go through lots of diapers at night and on outings (4-8 misses/day, most of the time, sometimes more, sometimes less), but I'm hoping that her ability to take herself to the potty at home will prepare her for going to the potty all the time when she can communicate better verbally and/or can get her pants up and down by herself. I'd say that now, a month and a half after first taking herself to the potty, my DD is 90% reliable left to her own devices with a potty handy and nothing on her bottom.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I've switched him to cloth diapers (exept for at night to prevent diaper rash) and also put a little seat on our toilet for him, and have seen a huge improvement. He's only had 1 poo in his diaper since I started this about a week ago, and pees about 1/2 the times we put him on the potty, almost 100% of the time if he's just woken up. I put him on it with every change and any time I see his "poo face", which is very distinct! I guess he just had grown out of his baby potty for now and needed to feel like a big boy. I change him about every 2 hrs (max) when he's in his cloth diapers, and more often if I see signs that he has to go, or if he's just woken up from a sleep. My husband doesn't support him going bare bummed very often, since he doesn't want messes on the floor, so that isn't really an option (plus, it's darn cold in Alberta, Canada) for quite a lot of the year), but I already see an improvement with what we have done.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
My husband doesn't support him going bare bummed very often, since he doesn't want messes on the floor, so that isn't really an option
Ask your husband whether he'd prefer the messes now, when his son is two, when his son is three, four, or even five.

There will be messes. There WILL. It just does not matter when you train them.

You do not need to go bare bottomed all the time (we are in the US Pac Northwest, it's cold here too) but if your husband cannot accept a few months of messes, he needs to be prepared for diapers for a long, long time. Feel free to point this out to him. He can read up the tens of books on this subject- ultimately, all the experts (even conventional-training experts) agree that commando is the way to go when you are serious about training.

That is not to say that messes are a sufficient condition for training- but they are necessary. So there's no point in trying to avoid them.

What you are doing is basically early potty-training and I think it's great. There is no reason most normal boys need to be in diapers past three years, in my opinion.

But you also have to be prepared to offer help. Trained does not always mean- the child initiates going to the potty, pulls down pants, wipes, and pulls up pants himself. I still help my 30-month-old girl with some reminders, wiping after poops, and pulling down and up jeans. She is trained. She does not soil herself. But she is not fully independent. I'm cool with that.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellieC View Post
I've switched him to cloth diapers (exept for at night to prevent diaper rash) and also put a little seat on our toilet for him, and have seen a huge improvement. He's only had 1 poo in his diaper since I started this about a week ago, and pees about 1/2 the times we put him on the potty, almost 100% of the time if he's just woken up. I put him on it with every change and any time I see his "poo face", which is very distinct! I guess he just had grown out of his baby potty for now and needed to feel like a big boy. I change him about every 2 hrs (max) when he's in his cloth diapers, and more often if I see signs that he has to go, or if he's just woken up from a sleep. My husband doesn't support him going bare bummed very often, since he doesn't want messes on the floor, so that isn't really an option (plus, it's darn cold in Alberta, Canada) for quite a lot of the year), but I already see an improvement with what we have done.
Woot! That's great that it's already made such a difference! Congratulations

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

User Tag List