Bed-wetting in 3 year old, is this normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am asking this here since we did ec since 7 months and dd has been dry through the night many times since 1 year, and was regularly dry every night for months if not longer.

Then came dd2, when dd1 was 27 months. i think she briefly started to pee in the bed right after but then stopped. and then started up again (which is why i'm not sure the 2 events are related) and has been peeing 6 out of 7 nights a week! for months. recently we've had improvement, maybe 2 nights a week only, but not sure if it's permanent.

it *seems* as if she's just too sleepy to wake up.

because she often does wake, crying, confused, and says she does not have to pee, then we (gently) convince her to sit on the bblp and she always goes.

also, for a while we tried to wake her about 2 hours after bedtime to put her on the potty and she would go (and i thinkn that's what brought us overall improvement.)

Can this be a behavioral thing? normal regression after sibling's birth? something else?

THX!

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#2 of 4 Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 AM

I don't think bedwetting in a 3 yr old is unusual at all. My new 3 yr old is daytime graduated and wets the bed most nights. He's had dry nights, to the point I thought we were done with night peeing, but now he pees nearly every night. I have never woken him to pee, as he's not the best sleeper. We've made it part of his routine to wake and up and immediately go to the potty. But he wears a diaper at night and it's almost always wet. Last month, he was dry more than wet, this month has been much wetter.
They go through phases. I'd just be patient and wait for it to pass.
#3 of 4 Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 AM

when you say she was dry at night for months, was she not peeing at all, or just able to wake up and express her need for the potty?

are you tandem nursing? if so, it might be a consequence of increased milk consumption.

it is sometimes the result of a food sensitivity. it might be worth just keeping some notes about what she eats and when she's most likely to pee to see if there's any correlation. some moms with EC'd little ones notice a dramatic reduction in urinary frequency when they eliminate dairy, gluten, soy, etc. in fact there was a thread here recently talking about the kinds of foods that increase urinary frequency (like watermelon) not necessarily because of a sensitivity but just because they have that. effect on people. so perhaps there is something in her diet that wasn't there when she was mostly dry at night that could be causing it?

then again it could be normal regression after the birth of a sibling, or it could just be normal for her at this stage of development (like she's having a growth spurt and her bladder hasn't caught up yet). but i think it's worth ruling out potential external causes so that you can relax about it if you conclude that it's just normal for her at this point in time.

congrats on your new LO, BTW!
#4 of 4 Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
when you say she was dry at night for months, was she not peeing at all, or just able to wake up and express her need for the potty?

are you tandem nursing? if so, it might be a consequence of increased milk consumption.

it is sometimes the result of a food sensitivity. it might be worth just keeping some notes about what she eats and when she's most likely to pee to see if there's any correlation. some moms with EC'd little ones notice a dramatic reduction in urinary frequency when they eliminate dairy, gluten, soy, etc. in fact there was a thread here recently talking about the kinds of foods that increase urinary frequency (like watermelon) not necessarily because of a sensitivity but just because they have that. effect on people. so perhaps there is something in her diet that wasn't there when she was mostly dry at night that could be causing it?

then again it could be normal regression after the birth of a sibling, or it could just be normal for her at this stage of development (like she's having a growth spurt and her bladder hasn't caught up yet). but i think it's worth ruling out potential external causes so that you can relax about it if you conclude that it's just normal for her at this point in time.

congrats on your new LO, BTW!
I just realized through another post i made that we started eggs (which dd was previously sensitive to) about the time the peeing resumed. so we're off eggs for a bit.

other than that, it just seems like she's too sleepy to wake up. In fact, some mornings when she DOES pee in bed, she'll wake up (bottom half naked and a big towel on the mattress) and say proudly "i didn't pee in the bed!" Poor thing

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page