#61 of 74 Old 05-24-2009, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When was baby born?

May 1

Is your child a boy or a girl?

Girl

When did you start EC / when do you want to start?

A couple of days before she turned 3 weeks old

What are your issues with EC right now?

Getting started! It's pretty new to me. The pooping is going well - I catch about 4 per day on average - which I think is pretty good as it has been a busy week with lots of trips out of the house during the day. I can't tell when she's going to pee until RIGHT before she goes, but I'm not too worried about it, I'm taking a mellow approach.

Is this the first time you have EC'd?

Pretty much. With dd #1, I did put her on the potty a few times when she was about 6 months and she pooped, but I was a stressed single mom who worked (was blessed to be able to take babe with me)and was pretty proud of even coping with cloth in those days. I just couldn't stay consistent and wrote it off as a fun idea, but not for us at that time.

Do you know anyone in real life who has done this?

Not really. My sister does, but we live far away from each other.

Do you use backup? What kind?

Yes, we use cloth - prefolds with covers and AIOs.

I'll be reading and learning! Happy to find this thread.
#62 of 74 Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 AM

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#63 of 74 Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post

How often do you do laundry? You have literally almost three times as many diapers as I do. I guess you change baby every 1/2 hr. at night, too?
Initially, I washed a load of dipes every other day. We used close to 20 diapers per day during those first few weeks. Most of those were day time changes. Night changes were probably hourly. Someone had mentioned 15 minute wees earlier. That was pretty much us during those weeks. And we changed with every single wee. We didn't catch many initially. We'd hold him in the classic position when we got up in the morning and a couple of times during the day. He would wee and sometimes poop when we held him for a wee. Then it just kind of fell together on it's own. He started pooping pretty much only when we held him and we seemed to figure out when he needed to poop. He doesn't wee so much now and it's regular. He wees when he wakes up. If he's awake for a bit, he'll wee before nursing and going back to sleep. He rarely wees while sleeping and that happens during the night after an active day. We catch most wees and poops. We mainly just have dirty diapers from wet farts. We're using about six diapers a day now.

#64 of 74 Old 05-25-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We used close to 20 diapers per day during those first few weeks. Most of those were day time changes. Night changes were probably hourly.
Okay, so we are just washing more (24 diapers every day). Fewer night changes though- she sleeps for at least two hour streches, bless the Lord!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#65 of 74 Old 05-26-2009, 01:09 PM
JMJ

Quote:
nak

jmj- do you have poop misses? b/c pull-offs are a HUGE pita for poop.

i use fitteds w/snaps & can pull them up and down or unfold & they are super convenient.
Haha! I'm sitting here reading this, thinking about how we're catching almost all her poops (besides our incredibly out of sync weekend), and my beautiful little girl deposits one in my lap, not 5 minutes after she refused the potty. I was hoping to get synced back up today. I've just been missing so many, and when I put her on the toilet after a miss, it's like adding insult to injury.

So, does anybody know of any organic training pants that have snaps on the sides? Otherwise, I may want to get more confident about her poops before we make the switch.
#66 of 74 Old 05-26-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, but motherease sells snapping fitteds, I think bamboo organic, that are easy to pull down...

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#67 of 74 Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
So, does anybody know of any organic training pants that have snaps on the sides? Otherwise, I may want to get more confident about her poops before we make the switch.
Continuum Family makes their own side snapping bikini style trainers that feature bamboo & organic cotton: http://continuum-family.com/index.ph...roducts_id=235 They are hella expensive, though. Then again, so are the eco nix, so there ya have it!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#68 of 74 Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 PM

When was baby born?

April 14

Girl

One month old.

ECing two babies at once!

No. My daughter is an ec baby & dfd is the third newborn with which I have practiced ec.

Yes. My best friend is the Pittsburgh DFB mentor, so I know a few people.

Yes. We use prefolds and covers. On dd, she also wears waterproof trainers sometimes. She will also be wearing a lot of fitteds and wool this summer.

Lexmas, congratulations on your baby girl!! Man, that went fast!

I have seen that a lot of you have mentioned having wet farts (also known as "sharts") causing a dirty diaper. If you are using prefolds and it is not wet, you can refold the prefold so that the little poo spot is on the inside & then put it back on your baby. You can also flip it over if you are using a cover. You can get through a couple of wet farts by refolding and flipping

We have been pretty laid back w/ our foster babies when it has come to pee. This is b/c of two reasons: One, it is too much work to watch a baby to see when they pee, or to put them on the pot 91483 times per day when I have another baby to watch, too. Two, w/ dd we tried to catch every pee. This seriously cut into the amount of fun we were having together as I became way to preoccupied w/ constantly monitoring her diaper & putting her on the potty. This is a very easy pattern to fall into, new mommies, so beware! I change dfd regularly and dh or I put her on the potty every day to poop ~ she has had no misses in a week, big girl! I have put her on once or twice for pee, but we will get around to pee more when she is bigger. DD is poop trained and we are working w/ her more to get all the pees in the pot, too.

jumpers.gif

#69 of 74 Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Okay, so we are just washing more (24 diapers every day). Fewer night changes though- she sleeps for at least two hour streches, bless the Lord!
Like I said in the original post, I'm limited to one load of laundry per day for electricity reasons. I cannot wash dipes daily, unless I hand wash.

#70 of 74 Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post
w/ dd we tried to catch every pee. This seriously cut into the amount of fun we were having together as I became way to preoccupied w/ constantly monitoring her diaper & putting her on the potty. This is a very easy pattern to fall into, new mommies, so beware!
It's nice to have you join us Dogretro. And thank you for these words. I've tried to be relaxed about this because I want it to be a pleasant experience. But I must always keep this in mind because things become compulsive for me easily.

#71 of 74 Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

dretro- our girls are "twins".

#72 of 74 Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
dretro- our girls are "twins".
I know, I saw from your post! How cute, heehee!

jumpers.gif

#73 of 74 Old 06-01-2009, 03:59 AM

I'm late getting in on this chat. I have not been on MDC much but this is the only forum I belong to with so many ECers. We plan to start soon so I need all the info I can get. Tho I prefer to lurk a lot :P

When was baby born?

Girl

Soon. No specific time frame.
N/a

Yes

Nope

Cloth diapers, pockets and AIOs, starting to use fitteds
#74 of 74 Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 AM

Yay, finally joining the thread

When was baby born?
Three days ago :

Boy

Well we caught a wee on his first day but didn't really start until today.
Getting started, we've caught two poos today but I'm hopeless with wees. TBH it was the same with my older DD, I always thought she just needed milk so missed them but DH is the EC king. The reason we've had two catches today is because he pointed out DS's signals to me

No

Yes

DS is still yet to be lotus born so we are finding prefolds tucked between his legs to be least annoying to his cord.

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page