new to EC, w/ my 2mo baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, just wanted to post b/c I am totally new to EC but I am going to give it a go. I am sure perusing this board will give me lots of info, and I know you MDC ladies are always so good for answers, advice, and enouragement.

My baby girl was born April 28, so she's about 2 1/2 mos. I read 2 books from the library over the weekend and "caught" 5 pees each day over the weekend. Fewer with our busier weekday schedules but still a few a day. And I am giving her even more diaper-free time than I was already (though I've always been a big believer in plenty of nakey time).

Its funny, she really seems like she "tries" to go when I take her to potty. Sometimes she even goes a bit, and then not 10 minutes later does a much BIGGER pee on the flat diaper she's lying on. Oh well, maybe an age thing?

I didn't know anything about EC (though had vaguely heard of it) w/ my son, now 4 1/2. But when he was about 15 mos old and really started complaining about a dirty or wet diaper, we unknowingly started a lot of the techniques I've now read about (potty at a certain time of day when we knew he would poop, plenty of diaper-free time, potty in the play area, fitted dipes w.out covers, etc). It came very "naturally" to us and he didn't poop in a diaper starting at 18 mos. He still peed in a diaper if he had one on until he was about 2.

So, it sounds right to me. Though a little overwhelming. I am not yet ready to even contemplate doing it when I'm not at or around home. I am also hoping that pee and poop become more predictable soon (the books said around 3 mos?). This girl seems to pee ALL the time (except then sometimes she'll unexpectedly be dry after 3 hours out and about), and she poops about 2x per week. Ah well.

dissertating mom to three

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Hi Emma,

This is my first post too!

My son was born on April 30th, and we just started EC about 2 1/2 weeks ago. At first it felt like we were just catching pees and poops, but every day he communicates more and more. Now it really feels like he's saying he wants to go and that we're listening. And when we sit him on the potty, he definitely tries to go! The hard thing is to figure out when he fusses on the potty if he's ready to come off or if he's just working through something. He sometimes grunts and cries more for a pee than a poop. He usually poops first and then pees, but if he's dry after a nap or an extended period he might pee first.

It's also hard to know if I should put him on the potty when he wakes up after a long sleep. I'm starting to lean toward no because if he's too hungry, he gets too upset and can't go. So I've been nursing first and then as soon as he squirms or pops off I run to the potty.

He has multiple poops every day, and they are pretty easy to catch. I missed one yesterday (felt it happen), and I was surprised to be reminded how messy poopy diapers are! I am already used to not having any. We have a lot of diapers with a tiny poop spot or streak, but no more big messes. We use disposables, so i bought some diaper liners so that i can reuse the diapers with just a little mark.

When we started, we were holding him over the Ikea potty, but it was really hard to get his pee in the potty and tough on my back. So my husband went to BabiesRUs and perused the potty aisle for potties with small openings. We're now using a Winnie-the-Pooh toilet seat reducer. It is still a little big, but he can rest on it while we sit in front of him on a stool. The comfortable position helps us to be patient for those times when it takes 5-10 minutes for him to finish. It also has a splashguard that works well.

Right now, 95% of his poop is going in the potty and probably 50% of his pee. I bought some baby underwear from Baby Misha for him to wear when he stays a little drier during the day. I'll prob start those in a couple weeks.

EC has been time consuming for now, but I have to believe that it will improve as he gets older. And I have to say it is addictive. Sitting with him while he's happily pooping on the potty and smiling is such a fun time. It's taken a lot of mystery out of nursing issues, too. I thought there was something wrong with my milk when he would cry or pop on and off while nursing but now i take him to the potty. It's almost always the right time.

Besides that, watch for arm waving , leg kicking, grimacing, and grunting.

Enjoy your next week - it just keeps getting better! It was nice meeting you...

Kathy

-Kathy First time Mom to Son F, born April 30, 2009.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:17 AM

My DD was born April 27. I've never before heard of EC. A friend was visiting last weekend and she told me how their DD was basically potty trained by 12 months. She said that her MIL is the one that started it. Around 6 months, or as soon as she could sit up on her own, they started sitting her on the potty. She didn't mention the term EC or anything. So I decided to look into it. We already are different than all of our friends because we are CDing - so I'm not afraid to try something different. EC obviously works for some people. But I wonder if this can work for us.

What books did you read?? What type of potty are you using? I'd love to hear how both of you are doing - especially since or LOs are around the same age!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 PM

Hi sunray,

i read both Diaper Free Baby and Infant Potty Training. They were very helpful.

My son got the hang of it after only a couple of days of dangling him over a potty. When we switched to potties that he can sit on, it got even easier. We don't have to signal any more, just sit him on the potty. It sometimes takes him 5-10 minutes to complete a multi-part poop and then pee, so it's much easier to hang out and hold him up on a potty seat than dangle him. He's about 12 lbs. now. He can support his head somewhat, but we hold our arms around his shoulders and head so he doesn't have to.

We've had to tell a lot of people - anytime we have visitors and we're going to disappear to the potty for a while, or when they want to hold him and we need to tell them that we're watching for potty signals. So far, everyone has been surprisingly supportive. We were concerned that some people would take it as kind of a judgment that they were wrong to potty train later, but I don't think anyone has taken it that way so far. My sister was a little weird at first, but she was just here visiting and she seemed to be very supportive when she left. She got to see how cute the baby was on the potty. ;-)

We don't do any naked time or cloth diapers, so we are really just using the potty instead of diapers whenever we get the chance. We'll start using underwear during the days soon when naps are more predictable. He isn't usually dry when he wakes up from a nap or from a nighttime sleep segment.

We've only had to potty away from the house once so far. We took a baby bjorn little potty with us and pottied him in the car. We put a bag in it for easy clean-up. It worked great!

I'm a bit freaked out about public restrooms. Has anyone tried putting a little potty on a changing station? This is my first baby, so I've never used a changing station.

Today we went to the potty about 10 times so far. I'd say there were 3 nothings, 4 pee only, and 3 poop and pee. We got to reuse diapers 2-3 times in that stretch.

If you try it, I bet it will work for you too!

Take care,

Kathy

Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM

PP -- We never use changing stations. I balance baby on my knee (while standing), scoot cloth diaper down to their ankles and hold them over the public toilet in the "in arms" position". Then I pull CD right back up and baby doesn't have to touch any gross part of the public toilet, nor do I.

I personally enjoyed Laurie Bouke's Infant Potty Training.

Remember EC is communicating about eliminating. As long as you are doing that, you are succeeding at EC, even if it means you give a cue while your DD pees on the floor after not taking a "potty-tunity". Give lots of potty-tunities, try to catch as much as you can, but know that EC does not have to rule your life for you to succeed with the method. The more relaxed you are about it, the better it will be for everyone.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Kathy,

Wow, it sounds like EC is going great for you!! I don't expect it to be as successful for us. I just learned aobut EC on Monday and did a bit of diaper-free time & saw her peeing and made the "pssssssssst" sound to her. Then yesterday I went out and got her a baby potty seat! I reserved an EC book at the library, but it's not in yet. I am thankful to the last post that says - you are succeeding at EC even if your only success is cathing them pee on the floor and communicationg about it & that it doesn't have to rule your life! I can't wait to read the book about it! It's called "Diaper-Free Baby." i'd like to read more books about it too, but I reserved this one based on reviews on Amazon.com.

Keep me posted on how things go! i'm so happy to have found this forum.

:
Lisa
Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 PM

Welcome to MDC everyone!

Sounds like you're doing great!

Another great resource for EC information is www.tribalbaby.org

A popular potty is the Baby Bjorn Little Potty (you'll see it referred to as bblp) it's available in lots of colors and is pretty cheap.

Oh! And remember, one catch means you have succeeded at EC.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 PM

Hi Sunray,

Think positive! You might be surprised at what your baby can understand. Starting with the diaper free time and cueing sounds like a great idea. My husband would cue the baby when he changed his diaper before we started. He had seen something on TV years ago about saying, "pssssst" while the baby pees, so he had been doing that. And when he would change a poopy diaper, he would always say, "you got any more pootie?" and wait for more. I think those early habits helped when we started to stick him on the potty. Because we were able to use those cues at first as a transition. Now we don't need any cues. I would probably use verbal cues if we changed potty places, but so far he knows that the little seat on top of the potty and the baby bjorn potty are both potties. We're a little concerned about other seats - he has a little booster seat to sit in once he's a little older. We're thinking it seems an awful lot like a potty. Maybe we'll stick him in there when he's constipated and taking too long on the pot. ;-)

Keep us posted on your first few days!

Kathy

Old 07-17-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

woo I was offline a bit and missed that Sunray and Kathy have almost the same-age babies and are trying as well, how cool.

Phoebe (born April 28) is spending a lot more nakey time (its HOT!) and yesterday I caught all pees from 10:30A until 5:30P-- my best day so far! She's definitely still peeing frequently on diapers but I'm fine with that and I try to cue if I see her doing it, or just mention and clean up as soon as I notice (she seems to be a stealth pee-er). My husband is getting a little more on board which is cool! So far when we're out if DS (4yo) or I have to use the toilet I just hold her over it and give her the chance to eliminate.

In about 2 weeks we're going to visit my parents for 3 weeks. They are on board with the idea and have wood floors which makes it a lot easier. I might just order a stack of CPFs to meet us there though, b/c we're still having lots of pees outside the potty.

We got a tiny potty at Ikea ($4) and I might even get another one for the bedroom. I was planning to get a BBLP (lost track of ours from DS) but this one was cheaper and more convenient, so I grabbed it.

Question- when, if ever, do you get tiny undies? or split pants?

And nighttime. Yikes. She is VERY VERY wet in the mornings. And I'm so exhausted, I can't imagine trying to potty her at night (and we cosleep). I am not even thinking about that yet.

There is an EC group here in San Diego, I won't be able to make their monthly meeting before Sept, but look forward to meeting people IRL.

I'm still pretty inhibited about telling other people and actually find that its more comfortable for me to have her in dipes in many out-and-about or social situations. But maybe as I gain confidence I'll be ready to be more open about it.

-Emma

Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Hello,

My son Conor was born May 8th, but he was 5 weeks early. I learned about EC prior to getting pregnant and knew I wanted to try. All my friends and
family, smiled and have told me go ahead and try. They think that it will not work.

Up until now I have tried to make a "ssss" sound when I catch him peeing and another cue when he is pooping. Today was the first time I tried to get him to go when cued, first thing after he woke up this morning, and although we missed the sink, he did let go. Since then I have let him lay flat and tried to watch him. I haven't seen any particular signals, but he has always hated a wet diaper so I am very hopeful we will catch more.

Has anyone had any experience "stimulating" their baby to poo? He has not been consistant and my pediatrician has been using a q-tip and vasaline each day. He does go most days afterwards, but when I stopped a few weeks ago, he stoped pooing. I have found it difficult to do this and try to be ready over the potty? Any suggestions?

Also after feeding I have giving him the pottytunitiy, but he just crys and crys and will wet his diaper when I put it back on him.

I am glad to find a place that is supportive and can ask questions. I have already found several good tips and suggestions to encourage him to let go at the cue.

Monica
Old 07-18-2009, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Monica,

both of my kids have been very infrequent poopers, I never did anything to "stimulate" them. My son would go as long as 2 weeks between poops by the time he was 4 months old, and so far my daughter (the little one) is going only a few times a week. If its 100% breastmilk I always figured I don't have to worry. And my son was extremely regular once he started eating food. But an early baby might be different, I don't know, and I know for sure if there is any formula then constipation can be a concern.

I am thinking of starting a chat thread every so often for our general-aged babies? I've never done EC and don't know anyone IRL who has, so I could certainly use the support and encouragement.

And our baby has def started "trying" when we bring her to the potty, and frequently pees now when given the opportunity. Sometimes she does nothing and pees a few minutes later, oh well.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Hi Monica,

My son was born 5 weeks early too, on April 30th! I can't help with the infrequent poos, though. He goes about 3-6 times a day, and some of those stretch over a few diapers/pottytunities. It's amazing how different babies can be even this early.

I wonder if he's just uncomfortable in the position that you're using to try to pee him. I was uncomfortable when I was using the classic "in arms" position, so I think that made my baby uncomfortable. I felt like i was going to pull him apart at the legs. Once we found a potty seat that he could sit down on, it got a lot better. We can look at him and talk and sing, and we support him since he can't sit up or support his head all the way. We've been inventing potty songs, which keeps us entertained. I don't think the baby cares too much, but it's fun for me!

His most common pee cue when he's not nursing is "hunh hunh hunh hunh hunh". It's pretty quiet, almost like panting. Then, if we miss it and he wets his diaper, he yelps. If he's nursing, I take him to potty every time he pulls off unless he falls asleep. Then I let him sleep.

You say you're concerned about doing the stimulation and then being right over the potty. I think just try to stimulate him on your changing spot and then move to the potty. Maybe make sure you're not over carpet in between, or lay a towel down. We never have poop accidents between the diaper and the potty, but we do have them between the potty and the diaper if I pull him off too soon. That has happened a few times this week. Fortunately, I saw it before I stepped out of the bathroom and onto the carpet. And then we just head back onto the pot. He will sometimes tell me if he's not done (by crying out when I pick him up off the pot), but not always.

I think I'm realizing that the one predictable thing about this is the unpredictability! These babies are changing and learning and growing so much every day. So we just do our best and laugh when we get pooped and peed on. My husband was giving the baby a tub bath the other day and he starting signaling him that he had to pee, but he was thinking the baby was communicating abour the bath. So he picked him up and got peed on right on his chest. :-) Of course, we always say, "good job!" so that's what we did.

Emma, congrats on your sucess! It sounds like you are doing really well. I would love to be part of a chat thread for our close in age babies.

Kathy

Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 PM

I'll join in here! My babe was 8 weeks old yesterday. ECing was a smashing success for the first 3-4 weeks (after meconium was done that is) but lately has been a no-go. I had help around the house for her first 4 weeks; now I guess I pay less attention as my 3.5 year old keeps me busy.
I feel like I don't know any cues any more AT ALL - except that she lets out a cry *after* wetting a diaper...but not every time. I'm catching some pees based on timing, but no poos.
One thing I've been doing in the last week to try to help me figure things out is putting her in a prefold with no cover. It's....not telling me anything except that I ought to be changing her more often! (When there's no cover I'm changing with every single pee and going through alot more diapers!).

I'd really like to do a brave diaper-free day or two to see if I learn anything, but there never seems to be a "good" day for that. Plus I rely heavily on my wrap and don't know what I'd do for the rest of the day if it got peed on.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 07-21-2009, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

today we were pretty busy out and about and relied on diapers more than some days. But- still only ended up w/ 3 wet diapers (and one wet flat diaper when I missed a pee this evening, oh well). But our best success of the day: we were sitting in a lab waiting for me to get a blood draw, and I just *knew* Phoebe had to poo. I took her to the restroom there, took off her diaper, held her over the big potty and she let out a gigantic poo immediately into the toilet. Go us! I am so glad I avoided that in the cloth diaper inside the moby wrap when we were out on foot! And later in the day she also did a poo when on her little potty at home. I do think she is learning the "letting go" feeling which is exciting, since its only been a little over 2 weeks that we've been trying this.

I'll start a thread for some general age range soon, sounds like we'll have enough people to make it worth it.

limabean: my little one often complains after peeing too. Her before-pee cues seem pretty vague and similar to other things she does anyway (squirming, vocalizing, etc), so I am going on timing and guessing right now. Funny, but DH is better at noticing "oh, do you have to pee" when she's lying there on the ground next to us at meals and such, even though he's not around all that much, and she's not all that accepting of him for other sorts of comfort/care. He was really miffed at getting peed on in the first few days we were trying it, but has embraced it lately.

We don't exactly go diaper free- she's usually lying on a prefold or two over a "puddle pad", and I do that in lap too. And in the sling, I just place a prefold on her. (that really, really backfired w/ the poo I missed the other day thoug!) I'm getting a bit braver though and I carry her short distances naked.

I have doubles on my slings. This wasn't a plan- just happened that way due to hand-me-down situations. But its great so I feel like its okay to get one wet or dirty, I still have another. Ring slings are really easy to make, free patterns online and such.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 AM

What a great catch, Emmaegbert!! (the public toilet one). Colour me envious.

I don't know how to sew , but I have been meaning to get some fabric for a no-sew back-up wrap. I also have other carriers but the wrap is the workhorse.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:41 AM

Hi again all! Well, so far things haven't been going to well for us at all! In fact, if it weren't for all the people in this forum talking about their successes, I would consider it impossible and give up! I can't figure out a pattern, I don't see any cues and we haven't caught ANYTHING in the potty. What we consider a "catch" is when I see her peeing when lying on a prefold and I get to make the pssssst sound - and even that hasn't happened too often!

I found that there is a DiaperFreeBaby support group in Pittsburgh (where I live) but they didn't meet this month because the host was on modified bedrest and next month's may be cancelled because she'll have a newborn. I can't wait to get to those meetings to become more encouraged!!

On a side note - I have a Hotsling and a BabyBjorn. I don't find either very conducive to wearing DD around the house for long. the Hotsling is good for carrying her when I am walking outside or in a store - just walking - but around the house, I find it too loose to move around effectively. The Bjorn is more effective for doing stuff around the house, but it kills my lower back after 15 minutes!!! I've been wanting to try a wrap. Does anyone know what I mean about the issues I'm having, and could you recommend a wrap? Oh, also, some of the wraps I've seen in pictures - I'm wondering how people put those wraps on without help!!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Sunray, I LOVE my wraps for this age. So comfortable and versatile. I have a moby and a hug-a-bub (both hand-me-downs). There is a learning curve, but once you are used to it, very doable. You do need to put the baby down to put ON the wrap which can be sort of annoying. There is a big babywearing forum on here and plenty of other ones online too. Something else to consider might be an ergo (or mei tai) since our LOs are almost big enough for them and frankly I felt like the wrap was less comfy after about 6mos w DS (who was very large). Ergo is SO comfy and lasts forever. I got one as a hand-me-down-- yay! I am definitely not brave enough to go diaper free in wraps/slings yet.

How I understand it, its still considered EC if you even notice the pees and help your LO to be aware of it. "catching" in the potty is only part of it. And of course if its stressing you out, maybe back off and try again later? Or just do some set time (after dinner, etc)? I don't know- I can be such a perfectionist about stuff that I had to decide firmly with myself that I would only try EC in as much as its enjoyable for us, and not allow myself to get worked up about it, feel like a failure, etc etc. Not that I am saying thats your issue, of course! The other thing is- in the 2 1/2 weeks we've been doing it, we've really noticed a dramatic decrease in the frequency of peeing. I think its developmental, and our babies are close in age... so, in a few weeks it may be a lot easier, as the body functions of a 3mo are a lot more "organized" than a newborn.

Out and about: my LO past few days not doing much peeing on the go- despite that wonderful poop catch at the laboratory. Though I offer her many pottytunities she generally doesn't pee- but when we get home she'll have a wet diaper. Do you think at almost 3mos she could already have a preference for her potty- should I just get another one for the car? I also wonder if she can sense my vague discomfort with her doing it in public?

I'm definitely seeing a reduction in my dirty diapers, but we're *nowhere* near diaper-free. Thats fine, its been amazing so far none the less, and its especially gratifying for me to see DH getting into it too.

-Emma

Old 07-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Thanks Emma. Well, I went ahead and ordered a Cuddlywrap last night. I read some really good things about them in a forum on this site. Today, I carried her around in the Bjorn as long as I could. Can't wait for the wrap!!!!

Also, regarding EC, I read a tip somewhere in this forum to buy military wool blankets, that they are much cheaper than ordering PULs (if that's the right word.) So I plan to hit a few thrift shops tomorrow in search of some. Autumn has recently really took interest in her hands and touching things. So she can be very entertained by the gym that we have for her. I can lay the wool blanket under her, diaperless, (with a prefold between her and the wool) while she lies on her back and plays with the gym above her. I think that is a good opportunity for me to observe for "activity."
Old 07-23-2009, 06:52 PM

Well after my very first sucessful pee catch one morning the first morning, I have yet to have my DS pee at all when cued. In face every time I gave him the opportunity he would cry and when I put the diaper back on him he would pee. After doing some more reading I think it was the change froma warm diaper to the cold air. I have since tried holding him in the position and cueing him w/ a diaper on, before changing, but never could tell if he peed at the cue. We have continued to have at least one hour each day diaper free when I am able to cue anywhere from 3 to 6 pees. So I am hoping the cues will start to sink in. Thus far, DS has only wanted to poo when laying flat on his back and diaper off. I think this is b/c I have had to stimulate him thus far, but I will see what happens this week when I stop.

On a good note, today for the first time, he was a little fussy and I knew he needed to go, so I propped him up on my changing table, at bit more comfortable for me than our bathroom sink, and held him the basic position. I left the diaper on him, but opened it up so I could tell, and after a couple of minutes cueing....DS actually peed!!! I was so exectied. I am hoping that over time, he will get used to me holding him there and then we will be able to go completely diaperless without any crying.

I feel sorta guilty for using disposies but with our pets I really don't have the option of leaving him diaper free all day long.

I too have noticed this past week that as he nears 3 months I am no longer changing 5-6 wet diapers b/t feedings and it has come down to 2 or 3. Much better since he absoultely hates wet diapers!!

Keep up the good work and thanks for all the updates. It really helps me feel like I am not the only one doing this!!!:
Old 07-24-2009, 03:01 PM

Hey Monica,

It sounds like you're off to a good start - it will get better!

We use disposables, too, and they have a handy stripe down the front where you can tell if he peed. They're Pampers sensitive. I wouldn't be able to tell without that. We definitely have times that he doesn't go on the potty and then is wet 5 mins later. But we have other times that he gets to wear the same diaper 3-4 changes in a row!

In the end, we will use far less diapers than without EC, so don't let yourself feel guilty.

Hey Emma, LimaBean and Sunray, I really want to carry my son, but I don't have a good carrier for this size baby. I bought an Ergo and a Baby Hawk Mei Tai, and both are too big to carry him comfortably still. I love the Baby Hawk, but I don't like putting him in it froggy-style. It just feels like his legs are too bound up. I tried it yesterday with his legs hanging out the sides, but he's not big enough yet. And then he wanted to eat so I maneuvered him around in 5 different ways eating before I finally gave up and took the thing off. So I guess I need another carrier if I want to carry him now and/or feed him in a carrier. I'll take a look at the ones you guys mentioned.

When I have had him in the Baby Hawk, we both got really hot and sweaty, and I felt like he couldn't breathe that well. All the wraps that I've seen look hot. What do you guys think about the temperature control of yours? And do you feel like there is good space around the baby's face for seeing and breathing? He is 13 pounds and 25.5 inches.

Hope everyone has good catches today!

Kathy

Old 07-25-2009, 12:47 AM

Kathy, I LOVE my gypsymama bali breeze wrap. Sure, on a super-hot day it gets hot, but it is the coolest carrier I've ever used, aside from a lightweight sling. It is *very* comfortable as the weight is widely distributed. My babe is about the same size as yours. She can see out - and even if I tie it on a little close to her face, I can just fold that bit aside a little. It takes some practice, but now that I have it figured out, it's my favourite!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:21 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that. I was actually on that web site recently. I think that's the one with the wrap you can wear in the shower - that looked really neat.

Kathy

User Tag List