DS regressed horribly at 35 months...help! erection related? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-20-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I post here because EC is the approach I've been using part-time since my twins were 9 months old. They've done great, and have always used the potty/grass/gravel for the majority of eliminaton, and have had very few accidents when left diaper/pants free over the last year. DD is long done with needing day-time diapers, but my struggle is with DS. He is on a strike at almost 3yo!, so much so that I had to put him in diapers again because he was peeing any and everywhere and seemingly not even caring. He says he wants to wear diapers! We were staying at someone elses house all last week, so I had to keep diapers on him. I'd kindly try to help him use the potty but he'd arch and scream and not even let me take his pants off most of the time. He pooped in his diapers 3 times! Even taking off a soaked diaper was upsetting to him and he'd scream he'd want it back on. What is this diaper attachment all about?

I try to be as respectful as possible to my childrens needs, but I just can't let him stay in a wet diaper like he wants--that's where I draw the limit. Now back at home, DH and I agreed we'd just not put the diapers on, because if it is on, he uses it like a toilet now. Well, he just pees anywhere and seems oblivious to caring, saying "I don't want to". I'm sure this reflect some developmental stage he is going through, like uncertainty about no longer being a baby, but now what? It makes me sad to see him soaking himself and totally disregarding his elimination awareness that he has demonstrated the last 2 years. I want to help him. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The only thing that makes me wonder, is that he has recently also learned he can retract his foreskin and is fascinated with how he can have an erection. Is it possible the sensation can be confused with the sensation of needing to void and he doesn't know how to distinguish between the two. Has anyone else observed this?

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 AM

Oh my goodness. I have no advice to offer, but it sure does sound like you could use a hug.

I have absolutely no idea what could be happening, but I'm sure someone here can help! Hang in there.
#3 of 5 Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM

i just noticed your siggy about 'un-weaning' your DD. is your DS still nursing? do you think this regression in pottying might be related to feelings of anxiety related to his sister nursing again?

totallyreaching here... just a thought.
#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hum, good question? He was exclusively pumped for and bottle fed, so he actually didn't nurse (long story), justs puts his mouth there and giggles, but your right, there is probably some connection there on some level. I'll have to sit on that one??? Thanks

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".
#5 of 5 Old 08-21-2009, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like he's reaching back for baby-hood. Could a light-hearted approach through role-playing help? DS is 3.5 and went through a major pretend-to-be-a-baby-all-the-time phase. I endulged him and talked the baby talk and said "oh you're just such a cute widdle baby, yes you are!" and all that over the top jazz. We have an in and out of role-play word (which for us is "a-la, mommy and hunter!" like The Count from Sesame Street's a-la peanut butter sandwiches) which means we're done playing and I can snap back into being mommy who has something important to say or isn't comfortable with where things are heading. He uses this line to break character and lay the scene or re-direct me better sometimes too, it's not just my tool.

I'd totally endulge him in his need to be a baby for PRETEND, role play to the nines and you can plug in whichever message you think might work: "silly baby, babies don't wear diapers to pee, they use the potty too!" (do you have his infant potty?) or "oh baby, you need your diaper, but remember no peeing! Babies put their pee in the potty, yes they do! You let mama know when you need to go- you say 'goo-goo-gaa-gaa, okay?"

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page