Thinking of switching - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-21-2009, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter has been using the potty since 4.5 months old (she's 12 months now), and we've had horrible luck. The first few months I managed to keep her dry, but once she started crawling it was miss after miss. And now that she's walking, I'm lucky if anything goes in the potty.

We do mainly cloth, and disposables during times when I won't be able to keep a closer eye on her, or if she has diarrhea (teething).

Pees are hit and miss, and right now, poops are ALWAYS a miss. I don't even remember the last time I caught a poop.

But I'm debating switching to gerber trainers. I have some 18 month sizes and use them often (AFTER she poops), but I'm wondering how much it would actually help. If nothing else, it would help me chart her patterns.

Opinions? Should I maybe wait another couple months, or until we get more catches? Thoughts?
#2 of 9 Old 09-21-2009, 03:41 AM

We switched to gerber trainers at about 12 months. It was nice to be able to see every miss. We would scoop her up and put her on the potty so she knew that is where the pee was supposed to go. Now at 14 months we are about 99% there!
I would make the switch now but you could also wait a few weeks to see if you start getting more catches.
#3 of 9 Old 09-21-2009, 01:05 PM

ditto to the PP
I would use diapers when I was getting too frustrated with misses and clean up or too paranoid, then go back to trainers in low-pressure areas (my house) or simply a few hours later when I was more relaxed.
#4 of 9 Old 09-21-2009, 04:44 PM

I agree, go for the trainers! I double up on them and that works pretty well for catching pees. It's a pain to pull them off for poop misses, though, so I don't actually use them that often! (Our babes are kindred spirits in that regard!) The gerbers are definitely worth a try!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#5 of 9 Old 09-21-2009, 05:41 PM

Newbie question: are the gerber trainers see-through? Can you post a link?

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#6 of 9 Old 09-21-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I think I'm going to try them for a few hours a day, or when I can keep a closer eye on her. I'll double up and see what happens (she often leaves a puddle with just one). I'll definitely use them for charting.

jenneology: They're not see through. They're like regular underwear, but with sort of a thicker padding.
#7 of 9 Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread, but...

!!!
See-through underwear! That is just hilarious. I'm sorry, not making fun. Just getting a really funny visual from that. Only EC'ers would ever think of such a thing in the context of noticing pee or poop.

Sorry, and thanks!

Sgmom, keep us posted! I'm sending good EC vibes your way!

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#8 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 02:06 AM

And if you have the opportunity, non-waterproof eca-pants are awesome!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#9 of 9 Old 09-23-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisavark View Post
Sorry, not trying to derail the thread, but...

!!!
See-through underwear! That is just hilarious. I'm sorry, not making fun. Just getting a really funny visual from that. Only EC'ers would ever think of such a thing in the context of noticing pee or poop.

Sorry, and thanks!

Sgmom, keep us posted! I'm sending good EC vibes your way!
Wouldn't that be nice though?! Be hard to miss then...

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page