Timing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm trying to EC my 3 week old son. We have had several successes, but I seem to have a timing problem. His signals seem as clear as day to me, but I regularly take him to potty too soon. He will pop off the breast and start wiggling around so I'll take him to the toilet. If he doesn't go immediately, he starts to fuss and get really upset. I'm concerned that I'm creating a bad association with the toilet. Then of course, I will start to nurse him again and he will poop within a minute or two. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
perhaps he's just finding the change of venue disruptive? or the position you're holding him in? if he seems to want to nurse while pottying, you could try putting a bowl under him, or simply keep a prefold loosely around him and just work on cuing for right now, cuing when he goes and cleaning him up immediately after.

those early days i think the most important thing is that they begin to associate the act of eliminating with the cue you give, so that gradually even if they don't have to go urgently they will be able to release on cue. also, babies change so rapidly at that age, so if you do change venues or positions, it doesn't hurt to retry the other venues/positions again at regular intervals (every couple of days, or in a week), as his preferences will probably change as he grows.

it sounds like you're doing great so far! don't stress, just enjoy your baby and count any opportunity you have to cue your baby as he is going as a successful communication
Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 PM

I had the same challenge, so I started bfing and ecing together. So I'm catching more these days (with a 7 week old). I'm hoping he won't associate the poop and pee cues with feeding though.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Julie, do you mean that you are breastfeeding while holding baby over sink or toilet, or are you holding a diaper under the baby while he is breastfeeding? I've heard both recommended. I've done the diaper thing, but haven't tried feeding while holding him over the sink/toilet.

Pixiepunk and julie, thank you for the suggestions!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:26 AM

My DH bought several different pottys/containers to try. So there is one that he has adapted that I can sit between my legs while breastfeeding. If I think it's only going to be a pee, I use a bottle to catch it. It has the bottom of the container cut off at an angle (because we have a boy the pee can be caught even if it goes straight up). I hold the bottle tilted so that the pee runs down into it.

Also, for the main potty that sits in the family area, I hold him there whilst leaning over and breastfeeding if needed. Sometimes it is just to settle him, and then he is happy to sit there until he goes. I haven't tried it with a main toilet or sink.

Look forward to hearing how it all goes for you anarchamom.

User Tag List