Baby prefers pooping in diaper? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-03-2010, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last 3 times I saw 11-mo DD straining for a poop, I picked her up and took her to poop on the mat. The change in activity seemed to "change her mind" about pooping, and she just wiggled away. Finally after the 3rd time (still hadn't pooped) I just left her alone to poop in her diaper (which she did, immediately.)

Could this be because EC is relatively new for us? Or it took "too much interruption" i.e. go to different room, take off pants and diaper, get in position. Should I just let her poop in diaper for awhile until she's more "interested" in EC? We have only been trying for a month or so, and only for poops.
#2 of 4 Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM

you could maybe try nakey bum and make sure you have potties available that way it is less of a disruption! I know that not wearing a dipe has made a big difference in our progress!

Proud nursing SAHM to EC'd DD March 25/09! Wife to Truck Driving DH March 1/06!
#3 of 4 Old 08-07-2010, 06:22 PM

can you make the potty place fun for her with books, songs, toys, etc? can you incorporate the routine as part of the fun, letting her help pull down clothes if she's able, watch in a mirror, flush the toilet, or just sing a silly song while you do those things, etc? and practice the routine several times a day without expecting her to perform. The first step is to pt is normally to make sure LO is totally familiar and comfortable with the potty, toilet, etc and has positive feelings. Once LOs are older, they are busy and active, potty time needs to be something fun that they look forward to. That's how I pt my 2 yr old. She figured out what to do on the potty pretty quickly, it was my job to talk her into going there when I knew she needed to go.
But with BMs, yeah, I did pretty much grab her and throw her on the potty a few times... she was kinda shocked...but it worked! I would put the potty nearby in the room and make sure you can undress her quickly, normal dipes can also pull down if fastened loosely. It sounds like you are off to a good start if you can pick up on her cues!
#4 of 4 Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, yesterday I caught a poop, today it was runny so I didn't think she was "really going ..." oh well! The catch yesterday convinced me to keep at it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page