Do siblings cause regression? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm prepared for us to go backward on pottying regardless, but I've been noticing that the threads about toddler regression seem to be from mamas with a new baby.

So, if your kids are spaced so that the next kid didn't come until the previous ones were all grads, any regression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Oh yes, major regression here. My son essentially "graduated" around 2 1/2, with rare accidents from that time on. Baby sister arrived around 5 months later. At first there was a brief increase in pee accidents, usually while out with his dad who never bothers to take him to the bathroom. But those stayed rare. However, he gradually started to have poop "accidents" that were not very accidental at all. This started when the baby was around 2 months old and got worse and worse, peaking around when my son reached 3 1/2 (baby was 7-8 months by then). It ended quite abruptly - one day, my son announced that he would no longer poop in his underwear, and he stopped. He was 3 years and 9 months then.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Oh dear. So anyone NOT have regressions when a new sibling showed up?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:29 PM

My DD graduated at 18 months. She became a big sis at almost 3. After a year and a half of being completely done, she regressed, particularly around night-time. Not what you want to hear, huh?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 PM

i think that most kids regress in some area of their life when a new sibling comes. but it is not necessarily the potty. DD1 was 26 months when DS was born. she was not 100% a graduate, though she had been an at-home grad for several months we still had some misses out and about. DS was maybe 3 or 4 weeks old at the most when DD1 totally stopped having those. she wasn't a night-time grad for another maybe 2 or 3 months after that, but i never EC'd her at night, she just started being always dry in the morning around 28 or 29 months. *but* she nursed almost as much as the baby, and suddenly wanted to be worn again. she also had some sleep disruption, and woke more at night for a brief period of time, though that might've been just adjusting to an additional person in the family bed, and having me feeding and changing and such in the room at night while she was sleeping.

DS was 33 months old when DD2 was born. for some reason i can't remember exactly when he graduated.... it was somewhere around 28 months, though he had been mostly a grad since about 20 months, that was when he was totally 100% about telling me. so anyway, it hadn't been too long when DD2 was born, but there was no regression at all. he did nurse more too, though not nearly like how DD1 did (of course he was a little older), and i think that was less of a regression than just being reminded about nursing because he saw it going on constantly. he did ask to be worn for a while after she was born, and was a little more whiney and clingy.

so anyway, i don't think that new baby always = potty regression, but you should probably plan on some kind of regression on some level regarding something if you're planning a new sibling.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

It's a mix of general curiosity and trying to figure out if we'll skip that phase since we aren't planning a sibling until DD's at least 4.

Hoping we'll be able to get by, in 2 years, with letting her use the baby's potty and a few 'ga ga goo goo' conversations.

User Tag List