Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a little background:
-started EC at about 1 month old
- got almost all the poops in the potty and many pees
- at about 8 months started to refuse the potty

- really refused when started to walk at 12 months
- After starting solids at 10 months (and her poop became more solid) she completely stopped pooping on the potty.

- I stopped offering the potty when she would refuse. We took a really long break.

Now she's 15 months.
She stands to poop in her diaper.

Yesterday, for the first time ever she signed potty (which I have been doing since about 4 months old!!). Really exciting!! ANd she said 'poop' when she pooped in her diaper. So she has that awareness, which I am really pleased about.

Now, this is my question - how to transition her to sitting on the potty to poop.

She's grown used to doing it standing up.

She'll sit on the potty (baby bjorn little potty) and read books for just a couple of minutes and then stand up and say 'done.' But then signed poop and stood and pooped in her diaper!

How do I re-institute the association with the potty? Especially with a toddler?

thanks.
#2 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Your DD sounds exactly like my DS! I caught his poop while standing up a few times with the potty insert so he would get the idea of where poop goes. Then at 17 months I decided to get back into potty learning. I printed pictures of tots on pots from the net to make him a "potty book". I took his ikea potty and added stickers of vehicles (he loves cars & trucks & machines). This got him interested in the potty. To my pleasant surprise, all of a sudden he's willing to sit on the potty! For the past few weeks we've been catching most poos & at least 1/2 his pees. I always keep the potty's nearby, if I catch him grunting like he's about to poo, I offer the potty, and he's almost always willing to sit on it. Then I sing a song with actions or read a book. If he's successful we always look at it and say "yay, you pooped/peed on the potty" and clap.

He offers all his toys a pee break on the pottty too, everything from his stuffed animals to his trucks & even the door stop!
#3 of 4 Old 09-11-2010, 02:09 AM

My ds is a diaper/nap pooper too! The ONLY way to catch one in the potty is for me to hold him above the pot - either the big potty or his BBLP hands under his thighs and his knees to his chest.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#4 of 4 Old 09-11-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

well, good to know i'm not the only one experiencing this!

I found a helpful book at the library 'Early Start Potty Training".

Had some good tips, especially for toddlers. The author suggested shaking out the poop from a diaper into the little potty and using it as a teaching moment. I've tried it a few times and I think it is making an impact.

In the last couple of days dd has begun signing potty!!! Once it was prior to peeing, but for the most part it has been after she has already gone (both pee and poop).
I'm really happy about the signing... since I have been doing it since July 2009!! ahh, now the payoff for all that practicing.

The book also mentions trying to make sitting on the potty a fun time, praising the child for even sitting for just a minute.
Another idea she had was putting blue food colouring in the potty with water and then having the toddler see how it turns green after they pee.
Lots of other good tips in this book, and it talks a lot about EC.

So far no poops in the potty, but my spirits have lifted!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page