our EC experience - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 7 months old and we have been ec-ing since she was 2 months.

Mornings we laze around in bed and get up leisurely- the moment is she wide awake I try to EC her and get one big pee. There are days when she gets up with one big wet diaper. I used to get a poop too every other day, but from the past week her poop pattern has changed (more of this in a bit).

I normally take her every 30 mins, sometimes 20 mins after she feeds. I try to EC her before her naps and after she gets up- but at times this is not always successful, she is either too sleepy or she is too hungry and wants to be fed immediately. I am still trying to figure out DD's peeing cue. There are times when she is playing and is happy to sit in a wet diaper if I dont check.

Evenings, DH takes over the EC with enthu and is disappointed if she goes in her diaper. From 6 to 9 pm is daddy- daughter communication time and mommy more often than not stays out of it.

Nights, she sleeps through from 9:30-10:00 pm to around 7:00 am. There are a few nights when she stays dry, but quite often she needs to be changed around 1:00 am. We don't take her to the sink or potty, she just goes in her diaper. I keep checking her diaper as often as I can.

We used to EC her on the potty for the 1st few months- either hold her over the potty or make her sit on it. The potty is normally next to our bed. But off late she doesnt seem to like it a whole lot. She prefers if I hold her over the sink, where she can look at herself and at me. I think I should start keeping the potty next to the sink in the bathroom and use it. DH still prefers taking her on the potty and keeps her entertained with a toy.

When we are out, we EC before we leave and almost as soon as we reach the destination. But since there is break in routine or if there is no restroom close enough, we end up with some misses. DH dislikes using disposables(much much more than me) and so we are always trying to find ways of reducing them when we go out. If its just close to our home, we normally go in a cloth diaper and try to EC her very often. The flip side is if she does wet her diaper, it remains that way till we are back home.

As far as the catches go, I think we are very encouraged with the increasing number, now-a-days we use 24 diapers in 48 or more hours (as compared to 24 diapers in 12 or 24 hours). In our experience leaving her free (un-diapered) is much better for two reasons- one, I think we are more aware of her needs to go, seeing her bare bottom makes me take her to pee more often. The second reason is, even if we do miss, I can clean her up and change her clothes, bedspread immediately.

For the past one week, I have reduced her forumla ( we have had to supplement ) intake from 600 ml to 500 ml over a 24 hour period. We have also increased our frequency of breastfeeding. And the main change I noticed is in her pooping pattern. Previously, she would go- one big poop every other day and most of them were catches. She had a distinct cue and it would normally be after her first bottle of formula. But now she goes once or twice everyday- smaller poops, around 4-4:30 pm, sometimes later. And we have been missing most of them- there is no cue I am able to observe. I think I will have to keep the time in mind and take her to the potty then.

Overall its a very satisfying and encouraging experience. I think there are times when she pees, just to do mommy or daddy a favor for holding her over the sink/potty. Its really worth it for all those times her diaper stays dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks, it's lovely to hear your experiences and your positivity--I'm having a baby in 3 months and would like to try EC. I enjoy reading about others' experience.

I just have one question though--why don't you bring a spare diaper with you when you go out? Using cloth doesn't mean you can't change while out--you can easily bring a plastic bag along with you to put the wet one in.

I would never, ever go more than 5 min from home without a diaper, esp with your LO starting to poop more irregularly. You don't want to arrive home with a bad rash.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for replying to your post so late- yes we do that most of the time now- carry cloth diapers with us when we r out, helps reduce disposables :) 

User Tag List