Neep help with EC and reflux in baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I hope someone here has experience with this. My 6 month old has severe reflux. We started to EC around 4 months (he demanded it - he was not at all happy peeing in a diaper) and things had been going pretty well. I'm really relaxed about it, and we catch about half his pees and all his poops.

Now his reflux seems to have worsened - probably because he spends lots of time trying to crawl. Sadly, the way I hold him to pee or poop seems to give him a reflux attack now. I hold him over his potty with his back to my front and his legs up (one in each hand). I think the problem is that this position squishes his tummy/increases the pressure in his abdomen.

I would really appreciate it if you ECing Mamas have advice about a position that won't increase his reflux. He probably will have reflux when he poops anyway, as he grunts and strains (but has liquid poop), but I'd like to cut down the trauma of pees.

Thanks! (He must weigh close to 20 lbs now, if that matters)

oops - should have mentioned that he is not sitting well assisted yet. and he is a wiggler, so that is why I hold him. If you can recommend a potty that would be easier for him to sit on (I have something like this http://www.amazon.com/BabyBj%C3%B6rn...173784&sr=1-57), that may work too. Actually, comfortable potty recs for little ones would be helpful too - he'll be sitting soon!
#2 of 4 Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 AM

I didn't start EC with my daughter until after she had outgrown her reflux so I don't have much advice on that front but I wanted to ask what you are doing to control the reflux in general? My daughter is 23 months and potty trained now but still will often spit up a little bit when pooping so I am sure you are right about your son and his poops but hopefully you can find some help like you said to make it less uncomfortable.
#3 of 4 Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 AM

I let my son stand on the sink. I have my one arm around his chest and I hold him like that, while I use my other hand to direct the stream so he doesn't squirt the mirror LOL! I hope this helps.
#4 of 4 Old 11-10-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe 777 View Post

I let my son stand on the sink. I have my one arm around his chest and I hold him like that, while I use my other hand to direct the stream so he doesn't squirt the mirror LOL! I hope this helps.

Thanks!  I'll keep trying that (he's still a little unstable on his feet lol.gif).  I'll start another thread about a better potty for a 6 month old.  smile.gif

But if there are any more mamas out there with ideas for peeing positions for a reflux baby, please post!  Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page