How do you transition from naked potty learning to clothed potty learning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't do EC with my DD in the sense of starting with learning signs and cues ect when she was an infant.  We bought some IKEA potties when she was 18 months old and started talking about the potty, ect.  When she was about 20 months we started doing potty time right after waking, when she was about 22 months she really started to get a hang of the potty, we would let her run around bare bottoms at home and she would take herself.  I started taking her out in underwear.  Then just before she turned 2 we went on a trip to visit my cousin, we were staying in a hotel and visiting my cousin that has wall to wall carpeting.  I brought along the potty and she did great in the airport, ect.  I had her in pull ups though just in case.  I think the combination of pulls up's, time change and most importantly me asking her if she needed to go potty/encouraging her to go potty lead to a total rebellion.  She went a couple other times on the potty during our trip but for the most part was just peeing and pooping in the pull ups.

So when we got home I went back to nakey buns at home, underwear while out and she was just having tons of accidents.  I realized I was pushing it too hard and decided to just not say anything about the potty.  Sure enough she went back to using it.  

Okay, sorry for the novel but that is our PL history.  So now the place we are at is that if she is naked she will be 100% on the potty, taking herself.  I have long since learned I absolutely cannot ask her if she needs to go or encourage her to go- it just leads to frustration for us both and more accidents.  But if she is wearing underwear, pants (even very loose ones) or anything touching her below the waist she will pee or poop right in it, without even really thinking it seems.  She will usually tell me afterwards but not always.  

So I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to encourage a transition from being PL when naked to being PL when clothed.  And I am really looking for suggestions on how to do that, not suggestions on how to keep her naked more often, there are just times in life when you need to wear clothes, you know? 

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#2 of 3 Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Have you tried using split crotch pants on her? That might help the transition. That way she could still take herself to the potty without your help. Also, if she tries to go in her pants the pee will fall on the floor. Maybe she doesn't like that and that's one of the reasons she uses the potty when naked? Perhaps she will start getting accustomed to using a toilet with the feeling of clothing on because the split crotch pants would help her get used to the feeling of clothing on her lower half. 

If you don't have any you can make them easily by cutting out the crotch of old pants, using free patterns online, or buying cute ones from EC Wear, EC Store, Continuum Family etc.

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#3 of 3 Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM

With my son we started him out naked at a little over 17 months, we didn't do EC with him. Once he got the hang of it he went straight into underwear when we were out and I am trying to have him in them more at home *but* it's just so much easier having him naked! hah! Anyway, when we go out I make sure to put him on the potty before we leave the house and when we get to our destination, and before we leave again. He has pretty clear signs of when he needs to go also. We learned these pretty easily early on while he was naked. We still bring an extra pair or two of underwear and pants but keep them in the car now but don't really need them usually. We also have a potty chair in the car for if there is no toilet available where we go or if it's just really gross (he usually prefers the regular toilet now).

Other than just making sure she is going I don't know what else you can do to help her with that. I never ask my son if he needs to go, I tell him "Let's go potty" or "Mommy needs to go potty come help/show me how it's done" and we go in there and usually we will both go so it doesn't totally seem like I am just pushing him to do it. He loves to be around people so he likes it more as a group activity right now... which doesn't bother me. Hopefully she is doing a bit better now, looks like it's been a few weeks since you asked :) Let us know if you found anything that worked! My problem right now is getting my son to actually tell me or others he needs to go (he can't do his own pants yet) so I am currently trying to teach him the sign for potty...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page