Transition from ECing on Toilet to Using a Potty Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our little guy is almost 5 months old and we've been ECing for 2.5 months.  

Right now, I potty DS on the toilet, holding him between my legs.  I've bought him a baby bjorn potty for Christmas and I'm just wondering when/how to start using it?  He doesn't sit on his own yet but he's getting closer.  Should I wait until he can sit on his own to use the potty, or can I help him use it now?  Also, will it be hard to tell when he's peed?  With the toilet or sink it's easy, as I can see. I wanted to buy the clear potty but couldn't find it anywhere (I don't think the EC store has it anymore).  Any other tips for getting started with the potty?

Thank-you!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 AM

I start using the BBLP young, basically as soon as either of my kids could sit with support I started using it as the primary way I potty my kids. My daughter was a huge baby. My son is a huge baby. I did potty them in the classic EC style, of course, but after 3-4 months, only if they were refusing the BBLP. I still hold my son over the sink, occasionally, at 10 months. It's a s-l-o-w transition, but it's not like I was holding my daughter over a sink still when she was two!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 AM

For us, ds refused anything except being held while ECing until 15 months. Over the course of that month (15-16 months), he took to a little Ikea potty like it was his best friend. No problems with the transition; couldn't have imagined it would go smoother. Now, he climbs onto the big toilet (there's a small seat insert he puts on it) when we're at home, and either stands or requests being held when we're out and about. 

If your little one doesn't like the little potty at first, don't push it. Leave it out for play time, but respect that it might just feel weird and scary for a long time. lol! One day, it won't ;-)

My baby is a TODDLER?!!! 12-28-08       toddler.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifblogging.jpg

Tags
Potty Learning Elimination Communication
User Tag List