What went wrong? (update) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started a thread a few months ago and most of the replies were "She's almost there!". Well she's not... here's an update. 

My daughter (now 27 months), EC'ed part to full time since 4 months old, has 100% regressed, and I'm trying to figure out why. I had almost claimed graduate at about 20 months, but she quickly turned the tables. 

She was taking herself to the potty consistently, with a rare pee miss (zero poop misses in MONTHS), when she started eliminating on the floor. Almost as if on purpose. I blew it off as experimenting, but when she started pooping on the floor, I knew something was off. By 22 months she was having almost full misses. By 23 months she would still accept the potty, but only on her terms (and catches were rare). By 24 or 25 months, she was refusing completely both the potty, and clothes (underwear or diapers were NOT an option). Around 25 months she accepted pull ups (I was sick of dealing with clean up several times per day, and pullups were easier for when we left the house). 

She would also remain dry at every time we left the house, and pee as soon as we got home from roughly 14 months to a few months ago. It was just routine. We go out, we come home, we pee. Not once did we have a pee miss outside of the house. 

Today (27 months) she'll take underwear, diapers, pull ups, pants, doesn't matter. But she'll wet herself (the entire leg of her pants will get wet and still leave a puddle) or poop in her underwear, and not tell us. Sometimes she even complains if we try to change her out of wet pants. Pee misses outside of the house happen at almost every trip. 

She's better at sitting on the potty, but I don't even remember the last time we had a catch. It's easily been months. 

I had a baby (EC'ed since birth) shortly after this started, but it got REALLY bad when we took a long road trip to visit family when he was 6 weeks old, and I haven't been able to get it back on track ever since (he's seven months now). 

There's no sign of a UTI, and she doesn't drink a lot of water (she's well hydrated, and she only pees once every few hours). 

What's going on here? Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-06-2011, 03:50 PM

Food issues?

Did she have any constipation back before this all started?

Does she seem to have any trouble feeling things on her legs?

How does she respond to diaper changes?

Any rashes?

Bother, I know you've already looked into everything that I can think of.

What you describe feels like a medical problem to me, but I don't know what sort of medical problem there could be or how you'd get a doctor to take things seriously enough to really check things out.

#3 of 3 Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Nothing "went wrong." EC works great for some kids, and makes little or no difference in the actual potty learning of others. I think I had responded in your previous thread, mentioning my son who appeared to have "graduated" around 2 1/2, then regressed so much after the birth of my daughter that he truly was toilet trained at 3 years and 9 months. My daughter is just about 2 1/2 now; for a while she had completely regressed as well, she is down to 1-2 misses a day now, but doesn't care at all when she has accidents, also not cooperating when needing to be changed. I'm expecting another baby in the spring, and am fully prepared to watch her regress again. It will be nice if she doesn't, but completely expected if she does.

Great when EC works out and children are diaper-free and accident-free by 18 months, or whatever early age makes some parents happy. But so what if they are not; they will be toilet-trained eventually. At least the potty/toilet is not some inexplicable new thing to them, and you saved some diapers or did less diaper laundry along the way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page