New to EC, 3mos DD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-04-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We normally cloth diaper, but I ran into some washing issues over the holidays while visiting family and DD spent 6 days in disposables.  After the diapers were working properly once more back at home, we got a rash.  We did TONS of naked time but nothing helped.  DD is now back in disposables with non CD friendly rash cream, cordaid, and antifungal cream per pediatrician, and I feel like I'm changing a diaper every 10-20 minutes.  We've made a few catches in the toilet, but most of the time I'm just not picking up on her clues.  She seems to let me know WHILE she's going, rather than that she NEEDS to go.  I take her to the potty, and she doesn't usully go, then we put the diaper on and by the time we get back to the livingroom she has gone.  We sit on the toilet making pssssss sounds for atleast 30 seconds or until she starts squirming around to get off.  I ordered the "Little Potty," hoping that will make it more comfortable.

Also, I'm having difficulties with the logistics of removing diaper, providing potty time, putting diaper back on.  I just have her in a onsie un-snapped, diaper and long socks.  Also, how do I wipe her bottom and hold her at the same time?  I moved the changing pad to the bathroom floor but I feel like I need to wipe her before I lay her  on it.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
#2 of 4 Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My dd never cued me at 3 months...or maybe I never picked up on it.  What seemed to work best for us at that age was lots of naked time and when I would notice her going I would make the cue sound.  In other words, I didn't put as much emphasis on catches as I did on helping her to remain aware of her own elimination.  It sounds like you dd seems more comfortable peeing in a dipe right now so you might consider laying her on an open cd and cueing her to pee on it.  She might be uncomfortable on the big toilet.  We got the little potty when she was about 5 or 6 months and sitting better on her own.  And at some point in time, we starting using toys as a way to get enough time on the potty to relax enough to go.  Sometimes it takes her a  whole minute to go, other times its almost immediately.  

As far as the wiping issue, I cut a bunch of washcloths in half and used them as wipes.  I would hold one in hand while holding dd in position over the toilet and then I would grab her bottom with the rag as I brought her back to the changing table so as to catch any pee drips.

DD just awoke, gotta go...

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#3 of 4 Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 AM

When I potty him over the toilet, I stand while I hold him against my legs and then when he's done, I lean him back onto my thighs. I hold his legs with one hand and wipe with the other with toilet paper ( or keep a receptacle for dirty cloth wipes nearby). I'm not sure if this will work when he gets bigger. I haven't found a way to make this work with sink or baby potties. 

Currently, there's room by my sink to change him on the counter, so I'm in luck there for now, but soon he will outgrow that and I'll probably be in the same predicament.

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

#4 of 4 Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 PM

With DS I don't really worry much about wiping after a pee.  When I put his cloth diaper back on it gets the one or two little drips.  I guess it would be different for a girl though!  For poops I've actually started rinsing DS bottom under the bathroom tap (I just support under his back with my arm and hold his legs with my hand then splash his bottom with my other hand) and then towel drying right in the bathroom before putting his diaper back on in his room which is next door.  Keeps his bottom extra clean!

I agree with PP, if DD isn't comfortable peeing in the potty try a cloth diaper underneath, or use a sink or the tub and just rinse out after.  Also, you could try cuing her with a diaper on over the toilet, then move to loosening the diaper and cuing, then putting the diaper under her and cuing...you get the idea, go gradual. 

Also, maybe give her some time to learn the cues by catching her in the act and cuing.  If you're consistent for a few weeks like this first she may surprise you and be fine with the potty once she knows what the cue sound means.  Also, if you pee her into the bathroom sink, try turning on the tap, the sound of the water might work!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page