I think we're ready for trainers... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I have been practicing EC with DS since he was 2.5 months old.  We've made 100% of poop catches over the past month or so and I've had a few days that are 100% with pees while at home and a few more that are close to it.  So I think we're ready to try trainers at home??  

Does anyone have suggestions for where I can get some for DS?  He is 5.5 mos old and long and skinny (16lbs currently, and about 80th percentile for length, 50% for weight).  I'm hoping to get non-waterproof for now as I was planning on continuing with diapers out and about for the time being (I offer the potty when I can but he seems to get freaked out by public washrooms, particularly ones at the mall which tend to be loud) and want to change him as soon as I have a miss at home and it's just easier to check with non-waterproof.  Also, I am just learning to sew and saw a pattern on the Do-it-yourself EC website, but thought maybe trainers were a bit ambitious?  I was going to start with the Ergo suck pads, then do the BBLP cover, then wool longies...(work my way up, you know?).  For those of you who sew, would it be way too ambitious to make trainers in the near future?

Also, how many do you think I need?  Some days we are around 50%, some days much better than that.

Oh and as an aside...We were at a friends for dinner last night.  They have a 7 mos old DS.  The other mom knows we do EC and we were chatting about it and how I ended up starting, that part time was totally fine, etc. Then I had to pee DS and asked if she wanted to watch.  She was so amazed by how DS had been waiting and peed right away and had a big full bladder pee she wants to try with her DS now too.  I love letting other people know about EC and how great it is!

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#2 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 05:06 PM

I really like Tinkle Time Trainers. There are lots of different seamstresses who make them on hyena cart. And also, the pattern is for sale, if you are being ambitious. You can get them with or without pul. I have one xs without pul I got when my daughter was 7 months, I think. She's just turned a year and it's a little small now (rise-wise, she's got a round bottom though). Size small fits her very well now. So, I'd guess xs tinkle time trainer would fit your ds well.

What I like about them is they slip-on, but have the option to button off if you miss a poop. But maybe that's more of an advantage for older potty learners.

Anyhow, I do like them, but have you considered using underwear since poop misses don't seem to happen that often?

With my daughter (we started EC later, around 6-7 months, but I'd say our catch stats are similar to yours), we use panties at home and non-pul trainers plus wool pants/skirt when out. And at home, just panties, no pants, so I can tell right away if she's gone. And those old "retired" prefolds are so handy for cleanups!
#3 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you!  I've found someone in Canada who makes the trainers you suggested and I've inquired into if she can make me a pair of xs to try.  I hadn't thought about using underwear for DS, so thank-you for the suggestion.  When you do have misses, how much of the pee does the panty absorb?  I guess our miss rate has just dropped dramatically over the past few weeks so even though I now realize how much of an improvement there has been I'm still nervous because we used to have a lot more misses.  I guess then the problem will be finding such small underwear.  Maybe though I could shrink 2T underwear??  I haven't seen any tiny undies in stores in the city where I am and shipping to Canada is a problem from a lot of vendors who are in the US.  I guess it would just take some hunting (or if you have suggestions, they'd be appreciated!!)

Thank-you for the advice!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#4 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i EC's my dd panties were easy to find that fit her from nb but with my ds boxers lol they were all so big. so my ds wore nb or 3m size shorts. i would get thin, short & with no pockets. they dont hold pee's but i just would make sure he was on a piddle pad when on something non washable. i ended up making up my own training pant for day times that would hold a pee. i loved this since it was so easy for me to size it to him. 

#5 of 9 Old 01-09-2011, 07:50 PM

Hi there, Ok where do i learn what all the letters stand for:)??

I have been Ecing for 6 months now as well and we catch nearly all of them. Can you fill me in on trainers? what are they and why would we use them rather then cloth diapers? Im obviously  a first time mom here, would love your input.

thanks!

#6 of 9 Old 01-09-2011, 09:02 PM

DD/DS/DH = Dear Daughter/Son/Husband, KWIM = know what I mean, IMO = in my opinion, they are kind of figure out as you go. Whatever makes sense in their place really :) There are tons of them. I think those are the ones I see most often on forums though.

I think trainers are less bulky and are usually more like underwear, but usually have a little absorbancy to catch a miss so it isn't as messy. They also normally aren't waterproof but you can get some that are. I have been eyeing some ecapants myself. They look really great for being out and about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke13 View Post

I have been Ecing for 6 months now as well and we catch nearly all of them. Can you fill me in on trainers? what are they and why would we use them rather then cloth diapers? Im obviously  a first time mom here, would love your input.

thanks!

#7 of 9 Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke13 View Post

Here's a link for all the common abbreviations: CLICK thumb.gif

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#8 of 9 Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 PM

I loved using trainers because they take up less space in the washer! I use some I got from target and also some from ECWear. (online store)

I also loved eca-pants!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#9 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM

I love using trainers as well. I prefer to change the diaper after each pee anyway so less absorbancy is better and less waste than washing a whole barely damp diaper. Sassy Cloth sells affordable trainers starting at 6 months size and I believe she will make them even smaller if you email her. I've made my own pull up and side snap trainers, they aren't terribly hard and there are free patterns online. nak

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page