Can you start EC with a toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This might seem like a silly question to most everyone in this forum, but I had not heard about EC until DD2 was almost completely potty trained at about 2 years old.  She is now 3 and has made an almost complete regression.  She started refusing to use the potty at home, but would pee right on the carpet soon after I took her to the bathroom.  She would refuse to pee while we were out and then pee in the car seat as soon as we pulled into the garage...consistently!  I got tired of washing  the car seat on a daily basis (the Piddle Pad doesn't work), so I reverted back to Pull-Ups.  Now, almost a year later, she has made no real progress in heading back in the direction were she was previously going.  I worry that we're just going to stay at this stage forever, and my attempts with conventional potty training are not working.

I wish I would have discovered EC sooner.  I would have definitely used it with her (and my other kids).  However, my question is:  Is it too late to start EC?

treehugger.gif Wife of over 10 years to hard working DH and Mom to DS (25)violin.gif,DD1 (10)joy.gif and : DD2 (6)joy.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 PM

It's never too late to start. From what I've read and my limited experience it sounds like it could be really great for you and her to get into a fun communication around her EC. It would probably open up a new awareness for her. I would go for it. hang in there, this too shall pass.

#3 of 4 Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm new to this, just learned about it and am wondering where to start really. My son is 19 months old. Do i just randomly decide one day to start EC and bring him to the toilet every now & then so he gets the hint, and go from there? What do you do for the night time?

#4 of 4 Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM

If they wake up dry: put them on the potty.

If you change a poopy diaper, particularly one with less poop than usual: put them on the potty.

Before a bath: put them on the potty.

If you can tell that they are going potty, tell them what's going on.

If it's been a while and they're dry, slip a potty under them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page