14 month old refusing the potty--only wants to squat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I EC'd my DD from 4 weeks old, but then she went on strike against the BB potty and the toilet at about 7 months. Every month or so, I keep trying to introduce the potty again, but she cries and screams when I put her on it and so I've been patient about it. I've also tried holding her over a sink and sitting behind her on the toilet, but she refuses to go there too and screams.

The EC did work--as soon as she could crawl and walk, she would always come to me as soon as she had to go in her diaper (or had already gone). She just won't go on the toilet anymore.

She's now 14 months, and most of the time she still holds her pee until I take off her diaper. Lately though, she's been taking off her diaper and squatting to pee. She's peeing all over the house (luckily, I have wood floors). It also seems to upset her that she's peed on the floor--I've never expressed disgust or distaste that she went on the floor, but it seems to really upset her anyway.

Has anyone dealt with this? I assume it's pretty natural for a human to want to squat, but I'm not sure how to handle the logistics. Squat over a diaper? Over newspaper?

Any help? redface.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post

I assume it's pretty natural for a human to want to squat, but I'm not sure how to handle the logistics. Squat over a diaper? Over newspaper?

Any help? redface.gif

Here in Japan they have squat toilets, so I think if your daughter is willing to squat over a diaper or newspaper, that would be perfectly fine (and I think it's a good idea too!). 

In our home we have a bathroom where there is a drain for inside the tub as well as for outside the tub (in Japan, they wash their body sitting outside of the tub and then enter the tub to soak and relax), so one day DS decided he wanted to go inside the bathroom - outside the tub - and pee.  So I let him.  It works for us.  Of course, DS also continues to use his potty too.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 AM

My daughter has an insert in the toilet so the seat in smaller. I would sit in front of her on a stool and she then pees by herself, I keet her company rather than held her. Also she could maybe pee in the shower so she could squat there. 

Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Well I just posted about this squatting thing, but I think it is natural to want to squat and maybe better for her to do so in the long run! wink1.gif

Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Are you using the BB little potty or the big one?  If you aren't using the little one it might be worth a shot.  At 14 months your DD would be in a squat position on it.  Have you tried putting her on it when she doesn't have to pee and just reading books or doing finger games etc.?  Another thought... could she squat over the potty?

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :

User Tag List