Going full time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have been part time ec'ers since baby was 5 weeks old - he is now just over 3 months - offering the potty after feeds, sleeps and nappy changes. I would like to step it up a bit and have been giving him lots of nappy off time at home and offering the potty around every 45 mins. How often do you full timers offer a potty opportunity and how long do you wait before taking them off? I'm beginning to feel like I'm harassing him by taking him so often, it must get annoying for him? Also we have yet to catch anything whilst out. He always seems too distracted by being somewhere new. Has anyone got a solution to this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 AM

I guess I still consider myself a "part-timer" since we use back-up and don't offer full time at night and while out.  But we're "full-time" during the day at home!  I do just what you've described: offer at intervals.  Somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes, as we change activities or when it's been that long.  Remember, babies' bladders are little and they are still learning muscle control.  I imagine that the interval will get longer as time goes on.  The other day I walked to the library and grocery store with DS and he was still dry after more than an hour (but he'd also been in his Ergo carrier the whole time, which I find makes a difference).  For pees I usually offer for at least 30 seconds and sometimes up to a minute if I'm sure he has to go but is distracted by something.  In the beginning I wasn't offering long enough (I later discovered) and as soon as I increased the offer time to at least 30 seconds (unless DS arches his back, cries, etc) I started getting about 25% more catches!

We're working on doing EC out and about as well.  I just offer when I can but DS doesn't like public washrooms and we don't often get catches, unless I can find one that is a single stall washroom rather than a large public restroom.  One trick someone else on here mentioned that works is to make sure you cover the "eye" on the auto flush toilets, as the loud flushing is scary for the wee ones.  As for the distraction thing, try peeing DS in a sink with water running.  Gives them something to focus on that also acts as a cue.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 PM

I imagine it's different for everyone, but I would only offer for 30 seconds or less. This is such a great age for EC! Enjoy!

Adding: my lo was never a big fan of foreign toilets but quickly decided to hold it while out and about. I kept a potty in the car, which she used a lot.

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Hm. It depends. If I think my son has to poop, I will wait a few minutes. Otherwise, less than a minute. I don't remember exactly how often I pottied my son at 3 months. I know as a newborn, he peed about every ten minutes. Now, at 12 months, he might pee as often as every 35 minutes (though closer to an hour is more normal). I don't think you're offering too frequently at all. When you have him diaperfree, time his pees. That will give you a sense of how often to offer. In the morning, he will probably pee more than in the evening, and he will probably pee less when you are out and about than when at home, or at least that was my experience with both of my kids.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

User Tag List