EC with 10 week old using public transport - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We started EC with our daughter during her first week.  We do EC during the day with a cloth diaper backup and use cloth diapers at night.  This is our first child and EC is working better than we had thought.  When DD is with me exclusively we have very few misses during the day.  I use a mixture of timing and following her cues.  My in laws have been here visiting and with them helping watch her we have a few more misses during the day because they are slow to respond to her cues, but this has been getting better as they get used to EC.  We are spending the year in a large city in Asia, so do not have our own car.  There is a really good metro and bus system here, that we use to get around the city and surrounding countryside.  My DD is old enough that we want to start venturing out more to meet other moms and take care of errands.  I wear her when we go out and we have had mixed success.  Everywhere we go we have to first walk 5-10 min to get to the metro station.  Then we take the train which can be between a 5-35 min ride depending on where we want to go.  We then have another 5-10 min walk to get where we are going.  These are for simple trips.  Many metro stations have bathrooms and we use them where we can for pottitunities.  DD usual goes whenever we stop.  The problem is that she when she is at home she gets more frequent opportunities to go and she really dislikes going in her diaper, especially with me.  She will go occasionally when the inlaws are watching her with much less fuzz, but she expects me to catch all her pees or she gets very upset.  So when we go on the bus or metro a trip of 30 plus minutes without a opportunity to go just seems to be too long and the last 5 minutes she starts wailing until I can get her somewhere she can go.  Coming home from an outing she often sleeps during the metro ride, but will wake up during the walk home.  This means carrying my DD screaming at the top of her lungs through a crowded street for the 5-10 min it takes us to walk home and get to the potty.  Any suggestions, I feel like EC has been great but is now limiting our ability to go out.  The moms who don't EC around here make these metro trips with much less trouble.  I do give her at least two long tries to go just before we leave, so I know she is not going out with an immediate need to go.  Is this just an age thing or does anyone have any suggestions for how to make this better. 

Me (40) + DH (42) + DD (Jan 2011) +  babyboy.gif (due July 2013)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 03:02 PM

It's any way that you can change her diaper discretely. I know how your feeling my little one used to scream out loud. Can you search different bathroom location in your way?. Can you seat in a bench in your way and potty in tupperware container with lid?

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM

If I understood you, you would be happy for her to pee in her diaper if it would make her more comfortable, right?  Can you NIP on the public transport where you live?  This may sound crazy, but if you could BF her... maybe she would pee in spite of herself?  Or take her out of the sling and hold her, maybe she just doen't like peeing in the sling?

Other than that I think (hope) it will get easier as she gets older... she is still really little!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried removing her from the sling and that seemed to really help.  I plan most trips to maximise the opportunities for using available potties.  So this bought me the extra 5-10 minutes to make it to the next opportunity.  I think she could see better so distracted herself.  I think the change in position also helped.  She would pee or poo just a tiny bit in her diaper, I guess this relieves the pressure a bit.  She immediately made a large  pee when given the opportunity.  I haven't tried out NIP on public transport yet, but that may work for longer trips.  It is allowed although not common here.  Right now as a new mom I am not superadept at this, so I think it is better saved for slightly longer trips, where I have more time and a bit more privacy.  On this shorter trips it can sometimes be really packed on the metro so nursing or pottying her isnot going to be possible.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 PM

I think your little girl is amazing! I wish my DS would try and hold it... he will wait to poop in the toilet but pees constantly whether his bladder is full or not.  But he is a little fussy like your DD about peeing in the sling.  Your DDs bladder will get bigger soon! wink1.gif

Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

can't you pee her outside?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, she has taken better to EC than I expected.  It wasn't until I started taking her out that I realized maybe she had taken to it too well. :)

I pee her outside when we are in a park or along the bike trail.  Where we live is pretty urban so they are few places near a metro or urban bus stop where we could pee her.

While she hates to pee in the sling, we have a new high chair that reclines back.  Apparently that is the perfect position to pee, because every time we put her in the chair she pees without holding it or cuing at all.  It has officially been dubbed the pee chair and I now take her every 10 minutes if I need to sit her in the chair or expect her to be wet.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks, she has taken better to EC than I expected.  It wasn't until I started taking her out that I realized maybe she had taken to it too well. :)

Maybe she is just one of those kids that hates to pee on herself...  and if you hadn't done EC with her you might have labelled her "fussy" never knowing why!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

fYou are right about that.  It is amazing how much of what they say at a young age is potty related.  I was at a playgroup with some other moms/baby of a similiar age.  One of the babies woke about from a nap and starting crying insolably.  Finally 20 minutes later the baby was happy and ready to play again.  The mom just lauthis periodghed and said she is always cranky when she gets up and probably just needs coffee like her mom.  I so wanted to pee her poor little girl, she was squirming around so much you just knew she was desperate to go.  The mom headed home with baby half an hour later and still had not changed her diaper.  I was just biting my tongue because I didn't know her all that well and she did not seem interested in EC in the least.  I had taken DD back to potty probably 3 times during this period. I just can't imagine not EC my DD.

User Tag List