What am I doing wrong? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Leo is going on 9 months now. We didn't start ECing into somewhere in the 6 month range. I would say that in these last few months since we started he has gone in his potty about 10-15 times give or take. Once I notice he is trying to go to the bathroom I immediately take his diaper and pants off and put him on there. I usually bring the toy he is playing with at the time in there with him.  I wait usually 15 minutes or until he starts getting really fussy before I take him off. He never goes though...

I am not sure if he is too distracted by playing or he just lost his focus on trying to poop during the transfer. 

Also- I practice making grunting noises with him and use the sign for potty when I put him on there. 

This is all very frustrating because we have had SO many failed attempts. I will admit that I only read one article about ECing before I decided we should try it.  I think I need to do some more reading/research but I guess it is a lot easier said then done.

Thanks!

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#2 of 3 Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM

I'm find that holding my DS over the toilet helps him focus on the task at hand. My hit rate for the Baby Bjorn Potty is much higher for pees than poos. I think toys are helpful to keep them sitting on the seat and their hands out of the way, but I wonder if they become too interested in them?

I'm not able to catch pees unless it is after a feeding or nap. They are hitting a lot of milestones at this time which seems to pose problems temporarily.

If you're at home, it's helpful to dress them in quick access clothes. I do onesies or t-shirts and then throw pants on him when we leave the house. A lot of people have baby leg warmers. 

I used these websites for info

http://www.tribalbaby.org/EChowtostart.html

http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

#3 of 3 Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing those resources! I too think that sometimes babies get really focused on what they are doing(like playing)  that it does become a distraction. Maybe I will try without a toy...

Also, I think it will get easier when its warmer out and he isn't wearing much clothes. The leggings are a good suggestion...thanks!

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page