Mothering Forum banner

what have i turned my ds into?

688 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  heatherr30 
#1 ·
So recently my 10 wk old DS started crying hysterically whenever he pees in his diaper.

Is this a step on the way to better communication? (so far I have not been able to pick up on him signaling in time that he has to pee, which is very frustrating because he signals poos most of the time. His timing is also unreliable.)

Someone please tell me that this means EC is going well. I feel like I have gotten nowhere in catching any pees at all, just generated tons of extra laundry by changing DS diligently.. and now he refuses to stay in a wet diaper at all--which is very inconvenient I must say when we go out, as he sometimes demands to be changed 2-3 times an hour.

Tonight he even screamed when I tried to put a diaper on him to go to bed. I have been leaving his diaper off at home quite a lot recently so I guess he's decided he doesn't want to wear them... :p

#2 ·
I am struggling with EC, so have no experience to draw on. But it definitely sounds to me like you're on the right track! He's still so little, I'm sure he'll figure out how to tell you he's got to go soon. Or... just go diaper free all the time and you'll figure it out right quick, I bet!
ROTFLMAO.gif

#3 ·
10 weeks is still so little! Their bladder is so small and they go frequently. I think that this protest to a wet diaper shows that he prefers to not pee in it, and that means he's "getting it"! It's annoying but important to change them so frequently so that they recognize what "wet" feels like when the do go and so that they don't like/want to feel that way.

I didn't start with DS until 2.5 months and he still doesn't really signal for pees although I am now consistent in catching them with timing. However, for the first 2 or so months of EC I was washing and changing diapers CONSTANTLY or so it felt at the time. Then, one day, I realized I'd only used 2 or 3 diapers consistently for several days! It just seemed to happen over night that he was going less often or he had realized I would take him soon if he waited to go (or something clicked, anyway).

So stick with it, it sounds like you're doing great! One day soon you'll realize your laundry stack has all but disappeared!

#4 ·
Today he screamed when I took him off the toilet after a poo (I catch most poos). I held him back over and after another 30 sec he peed... so yes he defn "gets it" at some level. I think he is learning how to use the right muscles but he is also working on a lot of other skills (rolling over, babbling, etc which I am equally excited about) so I am trying to keep pottying in perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.