can you start EC at any time in your child life? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My boy is 1 year old .Are we too late to start? I thought with the summer coming that would be great to have no diapers for him!!any advice to how to start EC.?

happy familykid.gif bb 03/2010 and bfolderchild.gif andbabyf.gif due12/12/2012.cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Sure you can start.  It won't quite be the same as starting with a little baby, but I don't think it's ever too late.  There are a couple of different ways you can start.  You could put him on the potty as soon as he wakes up, or any other time he is likely to go.  Or you could have him naked outside when playing in the yard.  When you notice him peeing you can make the "sssss" sound or whatever cue you are planning to use.

There are threads about late starting in this forum, if you do a search you should be able to find some.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 04-12-2011, 03:49 PM

I didn't know about EC with my first, but at 15m he started complaining if his diaper was wet or dirty, so we got him a potty and introduced it. Very low pressure. I would take him to potty with me. We also did a bunch of coverless time, and then started have a diaper free time of the day (first 2 hours in the AM after breakfast were good) with a potty nearby. He got very good at taking himself during those times and also by 18m wasn't pooping in diapers anymore. He was very "regular" so I just took him to potty whenever I thought he'd need to go and that was pretty much that. As for pee, it took a lot longer- he was fine when diaperfree but whenever he had anything on (like undies, pants, whatever) he would pee in them.

He was done w/ daytime dipes by about 22/23 months.

Christine Gross-Loh's book has some stuff on starting older.

GL!

dissertating mom to three

Old 04-13-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will be starting on the day after Easter because that is when I get his new potty. I'm excited and scared!!LOL

happy familykid.gif bb 03/2010 and bfolderchild.gif andbabyf.gif due12/12/2012.cd.gif

User Tag List