What potty or toilet contraption do you use? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-10-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been thinking about EC since I was pregnant but I'm away from DS during the day for another month so I never got serious about it.

Well this morning as I was changing his diaper, I noticed he was about to poop so I picked him up and rushed to the toilet and sat him on it. I guess the poop changed its mind about coming out but I was so excited to get him on the toilet.

Anyways, while sitting him on the toilet, I realized that his penis was on the toilet seat and I'm wondering if it should be in the toilet instead. When I sit him on the toilet and hold him up, his penis sits on the lid. For his penis to not sit on the lid, I would have to completely support him by holding him up over the toilet. So I'm looking for a potty or for a contraption to put on the toilet that he can sit on by himself.

Any suggestions of what works for you? How many do you have in your home?

BTW, he's almost 9 months.

I'm my own superhero.gif
Be yours too
#2 of 4 Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 AM

My DS is the same age as your DS.  I have a Baby Bjorn Little Potty that is the perfect size for little ones.  I also have a potty from Ikea that is similar but it is just a tiny bit tall for DS right now, but works ok.  I also have a Bumbo potty insert that goes on the toilet.  The insert is great for poops but not (IMO) all that well designed for little boys for pees.  I have to make sure his penis is tucked into the hole so to speak otherwise he pees all over!!

That being said, you don't actually need anything other than a sink or your toilet or even a bucket or bowl to potty DS.  For pees I still mainly potty DS by holding him over the toilet or sink by holding onto his thighs and letting him essentially sit on my arms.  Especially for starting out  this might be easier anyways because he'll feel more secure being held by you and you can see when he goes.  With the potty inserts and little potties it's hard to tell if they're peeing.  If you go to diaperfreebaby.org there is a spot with pictures of EC holds.

Good luck!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 4 Old 04-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Hi there

for poops, you might try sitting on the toilet facing backwards, with him on your lap, leaning on your chest, feet up and sort of braced on the lid. It gives you a lot more support than holding in arms, and since pooping sometimes takes a few minutes, and 9mo olds tend towards chunky, it can be a lifesaver.   You put your hands under his thighs at first, but when he is bigger you can just support him with your legs.  If he pees, it might go everywhere at first, but you can experiment with holding one hand in front of his penis to direct it into the bowl, or putting a finger on it to direct the pee down (my boy hated that though).    My DS is older now - 16 mos, and he did eventually outgrow that position (legs too long.  We are still in the midst of a slow transistion to a potty. 

We do have toilet seat reducer insert as well from Babybjorn that allows him to sit on the big potty, but he has no support for his feet, and he cannot seem to relax with them dangling.  If we had a stool high enough to get his feet on I don't think he woudl mind it but right now he won't use it.  I hope that is helpful!

#4 of 4 Old 04-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Just wanted to add, I thought it would be horrible if some pee got on the toilet.  But actually it's not a big deal.  If I notice DS unexpectantly starting to pee I just direct his penis downwards.  I have never had the toilet lid "flooded" so badly it can't be quickly wiped up.

My DS is only 3 months though. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page