Feeling discouraged... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 13 months and we have been ec'ing part time since he was 6 months.  Well pretty much full time, except at night.  Right from the start we did really well, and we hardly had any misses at all, even when we were out.

For the past couple of months it seems he doesn't really want to use the potty anymore.

Even when he hasn't gone for a while, he still arches his back, stretches his legs and screams.

A few minutes later he does it on the floor.

The past couple of weeks, he tells me he needs to go.  He says pupu both for peeing and pooping.  So when he says it, I take him, he doesn't do anything, and as soon as I put him down he does it.

It's  driving me insane, because I keep having to clean up messes all the time.  And if it's poop and I don't see it right away, he'll step on it, and take it everywhere... Although he usually tells me as soon as he does it, so I guess that's a good thing.

When I'm putting him to sleep, he'll stop nursing, and say pupu, I take him, and he doesn't do anything.  So I put his diaper back on, and take him back to bed to nurse to sleep, and a minute later the same thing.  It's so hard when I 'm already exhausted to keep doing this.

I feel very discouraged to the point, I don't feel like taking him to the potty.

Why is this happening?  Is there anything I should do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 PM

I have never PT a 1 yr old, but I can tell you some things that worked with my 2 yr old.

night time potty trips...  I would let DD go to the bathroom once or twice but that was it.  After that, the potty came into the bedroom with us where it instantly lost its appeal as a stalling technique.  Obviously at this point I also refused to let her read books/ play with toys on the potty, we were all business then back in bed.

day time potty... I would try to make it as fun as possible because that's pretty much the only way you can get a toddler's interest.  Have you tried special toys or books which are kept in the bathroom?  Letting your DS get more involved in tearing TP, flushing, etc (DD loved brushing the toilet).  Singing songs or reading books on the toilet?  How do you get your DS into the bathroom on the potty? (I used to make DDs toys sing and dance their way down the hall and she followed in spite of herself.)

I think if you could keep your DS on the potty a little while longer and relaxed, he would go in the potty...

Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Those are some good tips! Thank you.  I'll try and tell you how it goes.  I loved the toys singing the way to the bathroom! Lol!!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

My ds went through a short phase where he didn't want to sit on the potty either and eventually would stop using it and then go in his diaper 5 minutes later.  Highly frustrating!!  It's probably a developmental phase.  13 months is a time to be mobile- learning to walk, run, explore, climb, etc.  The potty can be a real drag.  The pp's suggestions to make it more fun are definitely great, but if you find even those don't work, I would just take a break from full time EC, offer it but don't push it, and revisit full time when he's ready again, which may only be a few weeks. 

Another idea might be a new potty or potty seat for him to use.  It could be exciting.  I like the $4 Ikea potties.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 05-02-2011, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Jaimee!  We tried the new potty, but it didn't work.  The toys don't always work either, and I really don't want to push him.

It was so nice not having to wash loads of diapers every other day... 

At least he tells me when he goes, so that gives me hope. 

User Tag List