Lengthy potty strike--Can we get going again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has been EC'd part time from birth. Things were going along swimmingly for a long time--he'd pee in the sink just about any time I offered it to him. But around 6 months or so, he suddenly refused to go anymore. Every time I held him over the sink he'd arch his back and straighten his legs and make it very clear that he didn't want to go. I tried to respect it but also to distract him while I held him so he wouldn't resist. He's ten months old now and I still offer him the potty once or twice a day (okay, every now and then I'll go a week or so without offering because it feels like it's just not worth the effort) but he refuses to go. Even when I can tell he has to go (which is rare--my kids don't give clear signals), he will wait until I get the diaper back on and then he'll go in that. 

With the weather finally warming up, I plan to do as much naked time as I can muster. I'm hoping that helps, but I wanted to ask if maybe others had had a strike this long and whether you were able to recover from it or if it doomed you to traditional potty training methods. Did I miss my window?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in a similar boat...  My ds has been part time ECed since 4 months and we were doing really well for quite some time.  Then around a year when all the illnesses, teething, and walking hit he stopped going in the potty.  He would still allow me to put him on it and he would sit there for a bit, but he wouldn't go and then 5 minutes later he'd go in his diaper.  High frustrating!!!   He just turned 16 months and he started going again.  He will rarely signal his need to go, so I have to keep an eye out for his body language (which is hard with a mobile toddler), but in the last 2 weeks I've been catching a lot more and he's shown a new, great interest in what is coming out of him.  He'll lean over and watch as he pees and reach his hand in there.  Afterward, he'll watch as I pour it in the toilet and say "bye bye" as it goes down.  So I feel optimistic that we've turned a corner and as the weather warms up we might be able to push the issue with some naked time as well.  I hope things turn around for your little one soon, too!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 3 Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

DD had a 2 month part strike.  My opinion is that is good to at least keep communicating about it.  Keep offering, but don't force the issue.  Try switching up the routine a little.  Offer a new potty or same potty in a new place.  The naked time is sure to help as well.  Do you try for the morning pee at least.  Thats always a sure winner for us even during a strike.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page