young 2-year-old suddenly wetting at night (and not awakening) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we've been doing EC with DD since she was 2mo. She just turned 2 last week. She pretty much was dry through the night from maybe 6m on? VERY occasional wet dipes. Nighttime was actually always our easiest and most successful EC time. And in the past couple of days, wet almost every night. And she doesn't awaken, complain, etc.

She's been in undies during the day since 15m and is gaining a lot of independence with the potty (actually I think we've had more misses lately b/c we are letting her take more and more initiative for it).

But anyway- does this sound familiar to anyone? A few times I've tried putting her on the BBLP in the night (which we did when she was littler, and she'd pee and then settle back to sleep) but she really doesn't want to be on there. I noticed a clammy wet diaper at 3AM the other morning and changed it (she stayed asleep) and she was wet this morning... 2 nights ago she was already wet when I went to bed at 11... no pattern to it that I can see and she seems to be sleeping soundly through it (maybe she is just sleeping more soundly?)

The biggest drag is that we actually don't HAVE that many diapers, or a diaper pail, or anything along those lines. B/c she seriously was only having like one wet diaper every 2 weeks at most before this for so long.

dissertating mom to three

#2 of 6 Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My DD went through a spurt like this a few times.  I could never quite pinpoint why, but it always passed.  Is your DD eating or drinking any new foods that may lead her to have to pee more (like watermelon)? or has ther been any changes to the routine.?  Or has she been playing extra hard outside in the warm spring days and sleeping extra hard at night?  I imagine it will pass soon though.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#3 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 PM

I'm having the same thing happening with my 30 mo son. He always hated nighttime EC as a baby, but from 20-28 mo he slept dry through naps and night. Suddenly a couple of months ago he started wetting himself when sleepy, either day or night. He'll go potty at bedtime around 9, but if he falls asleep by 9:30 or 10 he's wet again. He'll wee himself at least once in the night too without waking, and again in the morning. It never fails that if he falls asleep in the car he'll be wet too, despite making sure he goes before getting in. so he's back in terries and wraps whenever he sleeps.

Its very frustrating because we seemed to be doing so well and I want him to transition to his own bed, but would love for him to be able to sleep dry first. I'm also washing all our laundry by hand, so having 3 nappies or more a day to wash is one thing I could do without.

Should we try going nappy free for a while again so I can maybe catch it again? Or will it be just a phase? When searching generally for nighttime dryness it sounds as if people think it's just a physiological thing, and he'll develop in his own time. He seems to be teething again now too, could that be the root of the problem?

Mel
#4 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM

Emmaegbert, if this just started a few days ago she might just be getting sick. Almost everytime my DS is sick, his patterns change and he has very unexpected accidents. This may not be the case with your DD, but maybe it is and will pass soon. 

JoHunter, best of luck figuring out why your son has been wetting again. Like the poster said above, it could be a new food, a food allergy, or drinking more with a bladder that can only contain so much. Maybe sometimes the bladder size needs to catch up with the intake of liquid the body needs? My DS is 4 and he still can't hold an entire nights pees. But then again, I often have to wake up before morning and go to!

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#5 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Banned

my DS's coincide with his growth spurts and when he's sick. :)

#6 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

ya know, she did just grow A LOT since I posted this.

also, I have started taking her to use the toilet a couple hours after she goes to sleep, and that has mostly solved the problem, I am keeping her in a nighttime dipe just in case though, since we bedshare.

dissertating mom to three

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page