I think we've graduated but I have some questions!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is 19 m/o and we can now officially take her out and about in just underwear! She is going all night with no potty or wetting her dipe.

So now for my questions.

Is it ok that she holds her pee for a few to several hours? (longest ever was 14 overnight plus 2hrs until she went) When we are out she refuses to go on the big potty and will hold her pee for 4hrs if need be (although I am going to get our little potty back today from a friend)

At home she will pee whenever and wherever still...How can we make it so she won't want to just pee on the rug or wherever she is at home?

Also she still is not actually communicating when she needs to go. Sometimes she will fuss and act like she wants to nurse but she really needs to use the potty, other times she won't communicate at all. I offer every hour and she gets frustrated with this, but since she is not giving me a valid signal IDK when to potty her. I am trying to just trust her. She won't wear the waterproof pants over her underwear anymore and I trust her with that and I ask her if she needs to go but she won't answer me still or will say yeah and then not go. So how can I encourage her to actually communicate it? (we have been doing EC since birth but she had like a 6 month log potty strike from 9 m/o) I always say "pssss" and potty, pee, poo etc

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

anyone?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I would say that 16 hours is a stretch for a toddler to hold it.  I am sure that this is not the norm for your little one though.  You can encourage a child to empty their bladder, but you cannot force the child to pee.  Do your best to offer a potty (get it back from your friend) when out and tell her she'll feel better if she goes.

As far as the at home peeing wherever.  I dont know.  DD still does pee wherever sometimes, but she says ohoh and looks a bit disappointed.  I think she just sometimes does not recognize the sensation before it starts happening, other times I think she is completely aware of it and can get herself to the potty on time. 

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Banned

Removed as I do not want this to end up on Facebook (or twitter). greensad.gif
Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well I do offer every hour she just usually goes every 2-3 hrs. We are still having issues when out which makes me freak out b/c she will hold it for like 4 hrs. I got the travel potty back and it's the same thing. IDK if she is overwhelmed b/c we are out or if she is uncomfortable going there. Also if we are at someones house and she is playing she will get real excited and hold it b/c she just wants to play.

She basically won't even wear a diaper anymore. If I put one on her she screams and fights.

IDK can't it be  damaging to hold it too long?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I guess her baldder is able to hold more than it used to. And her bladder control is greater than it used to be. If you are worried, maybe trying more fluids will give her the urge more often.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

She started doing more little pees every hour or 2 as oppose to the big pees b/c I started clapping and cheering when she went lol So now every hour or so she will squeeze her pee out so we get excited for her. We still have the issue of pottying when out...but IDK I am trying different things. I feel so bad when I have to hold her down and force her to wear a dipe but people aren't cool with my kid hiding to pee in a corner or something b/c she isn't comfortable going there...today after we were at the same house a few hours she was dry and pottyed 3x with only the 1st dipe being wet.

On a funny side note we were out shopping and I had her underwear on and she was on my back in a wrap and I had to pee so I sit on the toilet and she says "mama pee" and I said "yes hunny" and she peed all over me! I thought she was saying I was peeing but she was asking me if she could pee! OMG it was so funny but totally gross and I can only imagine what we looked like darting out of there!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:08 PM

When my nearly 19mo has not gone in a long time and I know she needs to and am afraid she will soon have an accident, I sit her on the potty with a sippy of water (ice tea works even better for some reason).  At home, as another post so humorously put it, she will almost always pee in her little potty at the same time as me or her brother on the big potty.

User Tag List