Mothering Forum banner

Data and Charts on Our EC Progress

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  stuartm 
#1 ·
Those of you who like data may be interested in some charts showing our progress with using EC.

We have been try EC with our 6 week old son since he was about 1 week old. I have been tracking most pees or poos and wet or dirty diapers using an Android app (Baby ESP). I use it mainly to know how long it has been since his last pee or poo. It tracks time, whether or not it was a pee or a poo and I add some notes including one of three letters:

A = Caught All pee or poo in sink
S = Caught Some pee or poo in sink but was a wet or dirty diaper
N = Caught No pee or poo in the sink. Was a wet or dirty diaper.

Here is a screenshot of part of a typical day:

snap20110503_170943.png

I exported the data to Excel and created some charts. Here is a Google spreadsheet that contains a few worksheets:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoOznVdjJyqsdHpmVjNabHVhREtRd2xqRklOd2xEMUE&hl=en

1) Diaper Events By Day (Second chart):

This shows that what happens day to day varies a lot, but there is a trend of an increasing % of "A" catches (I think).

Diaper%20by%20Day.jpg

2) Saved Diapers:
I added the A's and S's and plotted this in the "Saved Diapers" worksheet. I think it shows the best case scenario of saving diapers (if you changed every wet/dirty diaper, which many parents not using EC would probably not do). But there is a nice trend up.

3) Wet/Dirty Diapers
I added the S's and N's and plotted a "Wet/dirty diapers" per day, which is not going to zero yet but seems to have stabilized.

Currently our EC is all based on timing and not on signals. We try to pee/poo him:

• When waking in the morning and after naps
  • Every 20 min after nursing for 2-3 pees, then every 30-40 min after that
  • We are not doing night-time EC. He usually wakes up with a wet diaper but he can still pee.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.