Full time EC & Cloth diapers... how many do I need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay - I am relatively new AP and NP in general (1 year approx).. I had never even HEARD of EC when DD was born! CD had never even crossed my mind. But thanks to MDC thumb.gif I am learning all kinds of awesome stuff during DD's infancy (she is 15 weeks). After reading on here about EC/infant pottying, I started trying "catches" with her at 6 weeks. After 2 weeks of great success I was encouraged (and DD was a happy baby!) so I went full time. This was going fantastically until I had to return to work at 12 weeks. For the last 3 weeks I use EC whenever I am home but have not asked MIL to do this with her while I'm gone (since she still sort of thinks I'm bonkers ROTFLMAO.gif). I always catch her poops (I actually can't remember the last time I changed a dirty diaper. Wish I knew about EC when DS was little!), but her pees seem hit or miss. I always catch the upon-waking pees and after nursing pees, but the others seem completely random, and the times I DO catch the in-betweens it's because she gives the same cue to pee that she does for poop? Guess we're still working out the kinks.... anyway, I have switched to cloth diapering her with the gDiaper system. DH got a new job, we are moving & in 2 weeks I will officially be a SAHM biggrinbounce.gif.

I am going to use EC full time with DD, and continue cloth diapering as our back up... and stop wasting $$$$ on disposables to send to caretakers. I only have 6 inserts & 8 snap-in liners, & 2 covers. So far this has been enough, & I just wash the diapers at the end of the day (our new place has washer/dryer & the water is fixed at $50/month). Since she doesn't poop in her diaper, she never actually  gets the cover dirty? I just use one cover during the day, wash it, and use the other one overnight. It does seem like I'm wasting water to wash them each day though. But if I don't, I know THAT will be the day she goes through all 6 liners. I am working 3 days/week right now, but on the 4 days I am home she typically goes through 3-4 diapers, though sometimes less or more. If you EC full time, what do you use as your back up (if you use a back up...)? If you CD, how many do you keep on hand, and how often do you typically wash? TIA!

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

User Tag List