Why trainers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious.

My DS, now about 8 months, is pretty good at EC. We probably have 2 misses/day, if that (more at night). I've been thinking about going to trainers, but is there any point in that for a baby who can't stand up and pull his own pants up yet?

I was just wondering if I'm missing something about trainers. For right now, a diaper seems like the easiest thing, since I don't have to fit his wiggly feet through any holes!

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 AM

well I am interested in other responses.

Both of my kids resisted diaper changes and for DD, who I did EC with, I fastened a diaper loosely enough to pull it up and down without totally undressing her, so she could use potty. Both kids were very large and mobile by 8m...

I didn't end up doing much with trainers until she was a toddler. I did get some gerbers and sewed a doubler thing into them. Basically used them around home-- the upside was that they were quicker to get on and off.

dissertating mom to three

#3 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

we waited until my son could pull them off and on himself -- which was around 14 months. then he was in trainers (as his back up). at 2 yrs and 3 months, we moved him to undies. he's a graduate now. :) he only misses if he's sick or in a growth spurt,  and only at night.

#4 of 9 Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 PM

Well, I put DS in trainers around 7.5 mos and I really like them.

I had a few reasons.  We were using pre-fold diapers and he was outgrowing the size we had and the size up seemed SOOO bulky for him as he got more mobile.  I didn't want to spend a ton on pocket dipes either.  Also, I did like that they are not bulky like a diaper.  I also liked that it made me more mindful when he was in them as I know that I need to check often as they only hold 1 pee (but a good size one!).  Also, I actually find it easier to pull them up and down than to try to get him in/out of his diaper!  He will NOT stay on his back, he always rolls onto his stomach.  If your DC can stand up, it is especially easier to potty them if you are out of the house as you can get them to stand on your lap or on a bathroom counter, etc. and just pull them up!  No need for a change table.

However, if your DC is not really good with poops, don't do trainers!!  We have very few poop misses but when we have it is an automatic bath for DS because I need to pull them off and the poop tends to get on his legs and be a bit of a mess.  Other than the poops though, I love them (and they are sooooooo cute!!).

Oh, also, they take less time in the dryer than diapers!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#5 of 9 Old 05-29-2011, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Where did you get your trainers?

#6 of 9 Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh, nstewart, I'm definitely going to try trainers, thanks to what you said. My little guy is great about poops, and he's just hit the "roll away while I'm trying to snap his diaper" phase. Trainers sound like a great idea.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#7 of 9 Old 05-30-2011, 02:48 PM

My DD would pee on the floor or in a dipe but when she had trainers on she hardly ever wet them! She is 20 m/o now and in undies and is like 99% potty "trained"!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#8 of 9 Old 05-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMonkey View Post

Where did you get your trainers?

I made mine.  I bought a pattern from Ladder Hill Designs for the Tinkle Time Trainers.  DS was a size small, and I'm just starting to make size mediums.  The pattern is super simple.  I was able to make them and haven't sewn since grade 8!  You can also buy them off of Hyena Cart but I found them $$.  I bought one pair already made just to see how they were constructed.  I bought all the supplies to make them from kidsinthegarden.com.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#9 of 9 Old 05-31-2011, 03:53 PM

We used trainers since my DS was about 2 months old or so. I just really liked the trimness and ease of use. If you want to use trainers and your LO is still having poo misses, I would suggest trainers with snaps or velcro. That way you don't have the 'slide down the leg' nightmare!

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page