EC at Night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In desperate need of help.  I started EC with my baby when she was 2 months old.  We always left it up to her whether or not she wanted to use her potty.  She did really well for the first 2-3 months and over the last month she has expressed very little interest in EC.  We never pushed her and let her do her own thing.  Over the last month, she has suddenly decided that she wants to use her potty at night, every 30 minutes to 2 hours, which means no sleep for her mom who works full time.  Any suggestions on how I can get my sleep back?

#2 of 3 Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 AM

well, here goes- a few ideas that you may or may not have tried...

loosen her diaper and cue her to go in there?  and/or put her in a disposable so she doesn't mind getting wet and just let her be "diaper-trained" at night so you can sleep (sorry other ECers if this is offending you! but I am a believer that mama's sleep is as important in the long run as many other things).

keep the potty in the bedroom and keep potty time very dull, and in the dark. Do you think she is wanting to use it as a way to connect with mama? you want to make sure that she is getting comforted, knows you are there, but doesn't use potty as a way to get you to get up with her all night long (both my kids have used potty as a way to get out of the carseats when they were sick of a drive).

offer her other things? (BFing, pacifier, etc) she might be awakening slightly uncomfy and thinks that potty will alleviate it.

think about if there are food intolerances etc that could be causing her to need to eliminate frequently?

dissertating mom to three

#3 of 3 Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

loosen her diaper and cue her to go in there?  and/or put her in a disposable so she doesn't mind getting wet and just let her be "diaper-trained" at night so you can sleep (sorry other ECers if this is offending you! but I am a believer that mama's sleep is as important in the long run as many other things).

I second this. We PT EC and use cloth. Hate to admit it here, but at night I'll BF my LO all night long, but am always reluctant to wake fully to get out of bed to change or potty him. He's kept his diaper dry 5 hours before, and he'd probably pee for us several times between midnight and 7, but I enjoy my light sleep too much to interrupt it to potty him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page