Question for EC'ers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby will semi-rouse, crawl about and not want to settle back down at least once every night. I put it down to typical baby nighttime behavior and muddle through. Recently though, after having to get up at 2 am myself to use the bathroom, I wondered if it's because he needs to pee. What have been your experiences with your EC babies at night? Do you think it's possible he (and maybe lots of our babies) is rousing because he needs to pee and not settling until he has?

Thank you!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#2 of 8 Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 AM

lurk.gif

I wouldn't be surprised... we dont EC but my DS is 9 weeks and doesn't pee through the night. however, he does wake grouchy (and dry) and I just realized this morning that as soon as he pees he's a happy clam! I'm starting to think about taking him to the toilet if he's dry when he wakes!

did you try and offer him the potty mid-night?

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#3 of 8 Old 06-08-2011, 06:15 AM

Yes!, This is a common behavior. That's why EC is a great parenting tool. I suallly see babies that unconfortable and moving around. Many times I reconize as an eliminatuon needs. Sometimes, they just to be place in a EC position to get the gas out. I thing that is regular that many people can't rest when they have full bladder.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#4 of 8 Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 PM

My 6 week old wakes from deep sleep and squirms about, then seems quite grumpy as I try to pee her. But often she pees and then is more relaxed. Sounds like the same thing with your son. Maybe you could use this nightly pattern as an opportunity to catch a pee and start EC. I thought night was a funny time to start but the I realized that our nights are very predictable - eat, sleep, pee, eat, sleep, pee...so it made sense.

#5 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 12:42 PM
mra

Absolutely! I take Julia to the potty quietly without turning on any bright lights - usually just a nightlight. I keep it as calm as possible so she will go back to sleep easily. Calm, dark and boring in the middle of the night.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#6 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks ladies. Got some ideas to chew on now. I guess the next step would be getting a potty for the bedroom since we have no master bathroom. Any particular method for putting the baby on the potty or do I just plunk him down on it like I'd do with a toddler? I mean, he's 10 months old and can sit very well, but probably not if he's half asleep.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#7 of 8 Old 06-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Not sure about a 10 mo, but when my light (14.5 lb) 6 mo DS needs to go, I hold him in a squat position over the sink or toilet and cue. This goes for any time day or night. I have a little potty for him but he likes to kick/stretch his legs out kicking the potty out from under him so we haven't used it.

We don't have a master bath either, but DS will wait until I carry him across the house and get him into position before going.

#8 of 8 Old 06-10-2011, 01:49 PM

I would just take him to pee since you're already up and see how that works for you.  To me EC is all about hits, misses and experimentation. :P

-panquetzani

http://indigenousmother.blogspot.com/2011/05/two-and-half-years-of-pottying-in.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page