help - fewer tears? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am practicing EC with my 6 week old daughter part time/occasionally, trying to build up. We have quite a bit of success, especially with timing. One issue I have is of her being upset when I try to pee her. I know she needs to go but she gets upset (similar to the way she often cries when I change her) and then she can't go. Of course, she normally pees on waking and at this stage she tends to cry when she wakes up just because the world is new. Right now I am using a bowl that I hold her over or sometimes I have her lying on my knees with her bum part way off. Both sometimes work. I try to support her as much as possible so she doesn't feel insecure, but think she still does. I wonder if having something for her to sit on would help her feel more secure? Can't afford to buy the fancy newborn potty. Anybody try a yogurt container? Any other suggestions? DD was almost a month early so is still quite small. Maybe it's also quite common for a baby at this age to cry during EC. And of course, sometimes she is crying because she needs to pee.  It's just that I wanted to do EC to respond to my child's needs, so of course would like the process to be as happy and tear free as possible.  (having said all this she just woke and peed beautifully, with no tears, just looking up at me...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 AM

I used to nurse my daughter while she was on the potty (it was in my lap, she was facing me) and that helped. offering her a finger or pacifier to suck might help her relax too. These suggestions might not work with such a little baby though... I started at 2.5m with my daughter who was large and very strong, so I only had to kind of help support her, she was not floppy any more at that point.

you can also just take her diaper off and cue her to eliminate onto a flat diaper (for now).

dissertating mom to three

Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have tried giving her a finger to suck and you are right, that works. (I'm nervous about introducing a pacifier into our lives at this point) Just tricky with the number of hands needed. She doesn't pee while I'm nursing her usually though. But you are also right, just cueing on a flat diaper could be good for now, and that is what ends up happenings a lot. And also just choosing to have a go at peeing her when she is not already a little upset, I guess.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceMay View Post

Thanks. I have tried giving her a finger to suck and you are right, that works. (I'm nervous about introducing a pacifier into our lives at this point) Just tricky with the number of hands needed.

I can imagine its tricky! She'll get a lot steadier soon.

dissertating mom to three

Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Our boy was also always pretty sturdy, but when he was at his smallest we peed him over the sink or toilet in the 'in-arms' position.  he always seemed quite secure like that.  Here's Daddy doing it:

IMG_0086.JPG

Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing. LO is now 11 weeks but still quite little. I've been holding her like that over the toilet and sometimes it works wonderfully, others not so much. It's a work in progress, of course! 

User Tag List