Troubleshooting for older EC starters? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently stumbled upon this idea at Kellymom.com I love this website and now I want to try the EC thing. Only 1 Problem my baby is 15 months old. I bought the 2nd edition of Infant potty training. I am really struggling with getting started though and was hoping someone had some advice. My son is so well trained to use his diaper he will hold it and cry until I put it back on him so he can pee. I have managed to get him to use the potty 3-4 times and I really praise him when he does. I try to make potty time fun with a snack or toy so he will stay on the potty, but anytime he actually has to go he will arch his back and refuse to sit on the potty. ONe time I held it in front of him so he could pee standing up and it worked, but now he won' t even let me do that. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I don't have any advice- but I tried EC and it just didn't work for us. It may be a lot of various circumstances- for one we have moved many times in 17 month old ds's life so far- so that may have disrupted it! We were great with EC for the first 8 months or so and now he v=never does it. I feel like it is difficult for him to understand to pee or poop in a toilet. I am extremely impressed with the many many people who have success with EC though. As for now I am trying to gently toilet train him however early I can! For now we are working on peeing standing up outside! It is difficult for me to tell him to pee inside into a container, he doesn't understand it. My sister who is a mom to four said in her experience it was at age 2 that her kids were able to understand it all and pee/ poop in the toilet.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 AM

I have no experience with starting late and I'm still new to EC - my daughter is 12 weeks and we started at 2. But I know that when they talk about starting they mention making a cueing sound whenever you notice your child going. We use "Ssssss". Maybe when you put the diaper back on him (when he insist) watch very carefully and make the sound. Maybe you are already doing this but if not it could be a start.... 

Old 07-26-2011, 02:14 PM

Have you tried holding him in different positions or letting him pee in places where he might not get nervous?  Try the sink, bathtub, toilet (you can also hold him over the toilet not just sit him on it), the great outdoors, etc.  First of all you and him should get comfortable with whatever hold or position you plan to use, so let him practice sitting on the potty with clothes on, hold him over the toilet or bath, etc a few times a day and find what works best for you both. 

Once you are both comfortable with the position you might add some "potty" times at likely breaks during the day such as just after waking up, upon getting out of the car seat or high chair, etc or just before bath time (the running bath water tends to make most kids go so get your DS on the potty first then turn the water on!!)  I would say praise your son for taking the time out of his busy day to make a potty trip, whether he goes or not... eventually you are going to make some catches and you can build from there.

I also think at this age you may not want to let your DS know that you care whether he actually pees or not... Ha ha...  You might even want to say something like "Try not to pee" (My DH tries this with my DD on everything and she always does the opposite!)  Personally if it is not working I would give it a break for a couple of weeks till DS has forgotten about it then try again.  You may have to wait for the right age where he is open to trying something new... Hope that helps!

User Tag List