Holds it on the toilet, then pees on the floor. What should I do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I tried to start EC at around 9 months or so.  It went pretty well.  I would just put him on periodically and he would poop and pee in the toilet.  One time he reached for something and fell of the toilet onto our hardwood floor.  It was a little traumatic.  I felt really bad and we stopped trying to EC.  

Fast forward to 17 months.  

I put him on once in a while.  Some days I'm committed, but he never goes in the toilet....so just stop trying.  He will go on the floor a minute after I set him down though.  So, I know he has to go, but is holding it on the toilet.  

What should I try?

My one thought was to try a little baby bjorn potty to make him more comfortable.  (he sits on the big toilet now, with a baby seat)  Being able to put his feet down might be more relaxing, but I have no clue how I'm going to get him to stay there.

thoughts?

#2 of 4 Old 07-23-2011, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yep!

Before I finished your post Baby Bjorn is exactly what I was thinking about.

He may feel enough independence and security to sit there comfortably until he's done.

My DS is only 5 1/2 so we're still over the big potty, but I've heard sometimes reading a book or singing a song is a good way to keep them there, relaxed and prepped for a poo/pee. 

Maybe a new routine on his Baby Bjorn is a good idea - and in a spot that's comfortable? and not too distracting??

Good luck! 

covert crunchy wife to guitar.gif & mama to DSbabyf.gif02/11. Dreaming of travelling the earth.gif as soon as we catch up on some sleeping.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just a few ideas on how to get him to stay there:

-Have a basket with books and special toys right next to the potty. At our house, you only get to play with those toys when you're on the potty. I rotate toys and books from time to time to keep the basket interesting.

-Read to him, read to him, read to him

-If you have a video camera, show him little clips on it. Or scroll through the photos on a digital camera.

-A sippy cup with water or juice is nice to have

-If all else fails, try a snack. (I know, there's the hygiene issue...but in all honesty we have done that at our house in times of potty refusal)

#4 of 4 Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks ladies.

Which baby bjorn (little potty, smart potty or potty chair), or any other similar potty, would be best for a big 1 1/2 year old boy?

or this one ?   http://www.amazon.com/BabyVision-Simple-Potty-Blue/dp/B001ACSXII/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1312790142&sr=1-3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page