Refusal to use the potty away from home... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS2 just turned two, and we have recently made the switch to underwear around the clock, including night-time. Most days, he is miss-free, but misses aren't uncommon either. I am trying to use our more relaxed schedule this summer to spend time focusing on the last hurdles toward potty independence.

DS has definitely entered the twos, in pottying as well as other things. When he goes potty it has to be his idea! (Of course, I can try to gently coax him into thinking it was his idea...and that usually works.)

One hurdle that I would love some advice on, is that he is going through a phase of absolutely refusing to go potty anywhere but home. When DS1 was around this age, he learned to pee in a paper cup, and that got us through the public bathroom issues, but DS2 has not yet learned to pee standing up. He insists on sitting. I have tried bringing his potty and books with us, and that worked when he was younger but no-not anymore. For a while he let me potty him in the car--no longer. Instead, he will just hold it for up to seven or eight hours, until we get home. He will sometimes tell me that he needs to go potty; I offer the potty and he says no. We typically head home right away, and once we get home he uses the potty. He very rarely has accidents.

This summer, I have been trying to keep our outings relatively short, so that we are home in the middle of the day and he can use the potty then. Once the school year starts up again, though, some of our activities take longer. Once a week, we spend a full day out of the house. When he wore diapers/trainers, he would get really upset before finally peeing in his diaper (after 7-8 hours), but now that he is in underwear I'm not sure what to do. I also worry about him holding it for that long...surely that can't be good for him. It must be uncomfortable too. I am pretty sure he is not dehydrated.

I am trying to have his four year old brother frequently demonstrate the old peeing in a cup trick for him, in hopes that it will have a monkey see/monkey do effect. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page