EC and cramps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm thinking about starting with EC (my daughter is currently 7 weeks old), but my baby has painful stomach cramps when eliminating, so I usually rub her tummy when she's "busy." I'm not sure if I could combine that with holding her over a potty?

Also, she usually goes when she's relaxed, aka whilst breastfeeding or sleeping. Since I value her sleeping and feeding times, I don't think I should interrupt those to place her on the potty?

Does anyone have experience with that and how do you combine it with EC?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM

Some have had luck holding a potty (small pot) between their legs under baby's bottom while feeding. This way your lo is comfortable and can eliminate as usual - when you notice her going, make your cue sound so she starts to make the association. Some babies prefer to lounge while eliminating. If your LO is small enough, you may be able to support her in a lounge in one arm while rubbing her belly with the opposite hand, all while over a towel or other receptacle.

The deep squat position is good for their intestines and is recommended for helping move gas. When DS was that age we'd push his knees to his chest to relieve gas pains. This position may actually help her pains.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!

I've started EC, but since she cries whenever I hold her in the newborn-in-arms position, I just let her sit on my lap while I cue her. Unfortunately that means leaving the diaper on, otherwise she'd poo on me, and I'm not sure how that works with EC? I read that EC is also about meeting the baby's instinctive desire not to soil herself, which she does do by going in a diaper (even if I change it immediately after).

User Tag List