Potty Pride! (we all have it) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, diaper free moms! I am the mother of an (almost) fully potty trained 16 month old girl, Kayla. orngbiggrin.gif She takes herself to the potty all by herself, at this point, we're just working on accidents, but she's pretty much got it! thumb.gif

I decided to go diaper free around the time Kayla was 3 months old for many reasons. I felt that it was the right choice for her, that it was more environmentally friendly than using diapers, and that it would help her out in the long run. And after about a year's worth of hard work, my little girl is almost fully trained at 1. I'm not gonna call her potty trained just yet, not until she's doing it all on her own, but I know she's there.

Anyway, while I started going diaper free because I care about my daughter and I wanted what was best for her, sometimes I'm a little guilty of being proud of my big girl. Don't get me wrong, parenting is not a competition, but sometimes you can't help but feel proud of your accomplishments.

One story strikes me as an example.

About a month back I had taken Kayla to the park and I was pushing her on a swing. I had her in panties that day and had brought our potty with us in the car. While I was pushing her, another mother with a daughter about 2 and a half years old came up and started swinging her as well. I had a long conversation with the woman while pushing our children and we bonded very well.

And then the topic came up. Diapers!

She started discussing how she prefers Huggies over Pampers, I just nodded my head and agreed with her (having not bought either in over a year, it was hard for me to remember the difference!) and she continued talking. I honestly felt a little guilty at this point. She finally asked me "What diapers do you use?" I almost didn't know what to say, the only thing I could think to do was take Kayla off the swing, pull her pants back, and show that she was wearing big girl panties. The mom's reaction was simply "No way!"

A little bit after that, I invited her back to my car where I pulled out Kayla's potty and Kayla demonstrated how she was trained. The mom was so surprised that she said she was inspired to start potty training her 2 year old. She congratulated me on what a great job I had done with her and I felt really proud.

I didn't start Kayla on a diaper free track because I wanted to show her off, I did it purely because I thought it was the best choice for us. But I have to say, in situations like these, it sure feels good, and I'm definitely proud of her!

Has anyone else ever had an experience like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Haha, yes I have experienced this too!

It's a great feeling to have a potty trained baby. :)

Old 05-05-2012, 06:05 PM

My 13 month old isn't diaper free yet (started late at 11 months) but I certainly have lots of potty pride. I love that she likes the potty and even when upset will sit, try, then crawl off. I feel that our decision to start will make for a smoother progression out of diapers without the power struggles that can crop up with older toddlers. I'm very proud of her and amazed whenever I sit her on the potty and discover a dry, clean diaper and a full potty :-))

User Tag List