Advice for having other family member do EC with my baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been working on EC with my baby since she was 9 months old after reading two books about being Diaper Free.  Reciently we decided to just stop putting any diapers on her and it working really well!  She's gone almost 3 days with no accidents.  I want to keep this up with her, however my husband and I are going to go to college in the fall and we're going to have his parents watch her while we're at class.  Can anyone give me advice on how they can keep doing EC with her?

They're open to the idea, but also a little freaked out maybe by a 1 year old not wearing a diaper!  (But I really don't want her to wear a diaper while she's with them.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 of 5 Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 AM

What if you were to get or make her some training pants?  They'd have a bit of protection in the event of a miss (which is more likely to happen with them than with you as they're new to EC) but DD wouldn't be in diapers which can create a lack of attention (for me at least).  I've made trainers for DS and they're super easy to sew or you can buy them various places online.  I used the pattern from http://www.ladderhilldesign.com and purchased materials from http://www.kidsinthegarden.com.

I think that it is also important for you to make them understand that if they have a miss it is not a failure and to keep it low pressure and of course to go over the basics with them and your own "technique" with DD.  Show them the hold you use, give them the opportunity to practise when you are around, etc.

I think it's great that they are willing to participate!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 5 Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks!  That sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

What if you were to get or make her some training pants?  They'd have a bit of protection in the event of a miss (which is more likely to happen with them than with you as they're new to EC) but DD wouldn't be in diapers which can create a lack of attention (for me at least).  I've made trainers for DS and they're super easy to sew or you can buy them various places online.  I used the pattern from http://www.ladderhilldesign.com and purchased materials from http://www.kidsinthegarden.com.

I think that it is also important for you to make them understand that if they have a miss it is not a failure and to keep it low pressure and of course to go over the basics with them and your own "technique" with DD.  Show them the hold you use, give them the opportunity to practise when you are around, etc.

I think it's great that they are willing to participate!

#4 of 5 Old 08-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanbutterfly View Post

Can anyone give me advice on how they can keep doing EC with her?

They're open to the idea, but also a little freaked out maybe by a 1 year old not wearing a diaper!  (But I really don't want her to wear a diaper while she's with them.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Good for all of you! My suggestion is to make a little 'caregivers guide' for them and demonstrate how to potty, what a signal looks like, and what to say in case of a miss (accident), mis-guess (they offer potty but baby doesn't need to go), and catch (discourage praise). Write down baby's signals and write down some more generic times they can offer the potty (after a nap, during a diaper change if they do end up using them, when taken out of a carseat, etc.).

And remember some babies signal louder when in a diaper. ;) Ours does! So with caregivers I keep him CD'd and he yells out for it.

Andrea

Mother of DS 11 mos.

EC Simplified

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

#5 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 02:29 AM

My in-laws helped out with EC or DD for 2 months while they visited.  The hardest part for them was on picking up her cues.  They would tend to dismiss them as fussiness and try to distract her with playing or singing instead of taking her to the potty.  It took a long time for them to adjust their mindset to try her on the potty first because she is rarely fussy for any reason other than needing to use the potty.  If they are open to it, going diaper free is a great way to get them cued into you baby quickly otherwise everyone just has to have patience as they learn.  Also keep in mind what potty positions you are using if your folks are older, since some can be more taxing on the adult than others.  Best of luck.

Me (40) + DH (42) + DD (Jan 2011) +  babyboy.gif (due July 2013)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page