Not getting anywhere?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 2 and 1/2. She has been using her potties and the toilet for poohs no problem for months. I forget how long, but at least 10 months. She rarely pees in her diaper during daytime naps and often goes through the night without peeing.  During the daytime we try and keep her bare bottom or in training pants. She sometimes will use the potty successfully when prompted and very, very occasionally self-initiated. But most of the time, I will ask her to go and she's too interested in what she's doing and then she carries on and says, peepee once she's already gone. I'm not sure if she just can't be bothered to go over to the potty or if she is not feeling the initial urge? We have done pottying books, we sit and read with her on the potty. She will often squat or spread her legs while peeing over the ground or on her learning tower.  I have a 4 month old and am tired off trying to wipe up pee all the time and concerned that she seems to be making little progress. We've been at this stage for at least 8 months!!! I anticipated some delay or regression with the arrival of her baby brother, but feel like we are stuck in a rut and am starting to feel frustrated and don't want to express that to her.

Any advice?!! Is this normal or do you think??

Thanks in advance!dizzy.gif

#2 of 3 Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM

Exact same thing here!  DS is 2 and a half.  I have him in underwear during the day and cloth diaper at night.  He very rarely pees in the diaper and has 0-4 accidents during the day.  He almost never tells me he has to potty.  Poops are usually accidents.  There are lots of days that he doesnt have pee accidents. I am trying to get him to take more interest in the potty but nothing seems to work. Everyone tells me he is still young, but all my neighbours with kids of the same age have their kids telling them they need to go pee.  I am sure we have the same number of accidents, but DS very rarely tells me he has to go.  Today I started trying to get him to pull down his own pants & do it all by himself.  He seems very excited about this so I am hoping it will lead to him just taking himself.  If i have too many off days I set a timer to remind me to remind him to go pee.

#3 of 3 Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM

DD wasn't 100 percent reliable at this age, but she rarely had accidents because I always found different ways to bribe her to the potty.

She could hold it for hours if I didn't offer, but at some point she would have an accident if I didn't take her at a few key times during the day.

Just after 2 1/2 there was a breakthrough... she suddenly gained the ability to stop an activity and know she could go back to it.  She still weed little drops into her pants though from time to time. 

2 1/2 is young to be PT the way most Westerners want to PT... ie kid does it all themselves.  If you can find a way to bribe her to the potty and wait with her till she is done, (that is a big "if" at this age!!!) its very possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page