which training pants or underpants do you use? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The prices on fitted diapers and EC trainers are exorbitant!  Esp if you have lots of misses and need to change every hour....  Would it work to buy cheap trainers or underpants and sew absorbant material as a liner? 

I also have a stash of size small prefolds that no longer snappi round DS... I would love to convert those into trainers if there was a simple way to do that.  I am not sure if my sewing skills are up to the task though...

#2 of 12 Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 AM

I have seen someone who took small prefolds and sewed them to the inside of Gerber training pants for extra absorbency. She was happy with them. I don't think she did anything more than pad-fold the prefolds and sew them down.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#3 of 12 Old 08-14-2011, 01:25 PM

How old is your kiddo? We use cheapo gerbers: they don't hold a whole pee after about 12 mo though- we could only use them earlier because DS is a BIG babe. But all the weights are a little off on them- we use 2T now which says 28lbs up to something and DS is only 26 lbs but they fit. With shorts on, they don't leak too bad! We usually actually only use them when we're pretty sure he won't pee- more for going out or to cover his stuff in the front yard, etc.

Earlier we also used ECA pants, which are super expensive, but sure make things nice and easy with a pre-walker. Once DS was walking and standing on his own, it was just too easy to use pull-ups....and SO much cheaper....

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#4 of 12 Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

DS is 6.5 mo but BIG, he is wearing 9-12 month clothes. 

I have heard about Gerber training pants but don't know where to get them in Europe.. in fact I have not been able to find any non-waterproof training pants at all.  I am shooting myself about not picking some up when I was in the US a couple months ago....

I found some little underwear today in the discount store which is made to go over diapers... a booster pad fits inside nicely!  So it looks like we have our solution for now.  Perdita I will not hesitate to sew in the booster pads if DS learns how to pull them out, however for the time being I suspect this will be faster drying in 2 pieces. 

I would love to hear more ideas if there's anyone else out there reading this!  I'm so curious what everyone uses as back-up.  We have too many pee misses (and "leaky" farts.. hehe) to consider going diaper free around here, but it's getting to be a struggle getting DS to lie down on his back for frequent diaper changes.

#5 of 12 Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM

I sew my own trainers using a pattern from http://www.ladderhilldesign.com and fabrics from http://www.kidsinthegarden.com.  I made the size small for DS when he was 7 mos old (skinny for his age but very tall) and he outgrew them at about 11 months.  I've now sewn the size mediums.  They are SUPER easy to sew, really!  When I made the first batch the last time I'd sewn anything was in home economics in grade 8!!  I find I needed at LEAST 11 pairs.  They've worked great and I highly recommend them.  For the outer layer I used printed PUL fabric.  The absorber in the middle is bamboo diaper flannel (2 layers is sufficient) and the liner I've used bamboo valour (sooo soft) and also just plain 'ol flannel (I recycled some of DH's pj pants).  Then I use fold over elastic to finish.  You can get all the fabrics from the kids in the garden sight.  You may be able to buy them at a fabric store where you are but I have to order all my diaper supplies online as nothing is carried for diapers in store here.  The nice thing about the PUL fabric is that I can use them at home or out of the house as if we have a miss away from home DS's clothes don't get wet.

Good luck!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#6 of 12 Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

that you nstewart maybe I will give this a try!

i have ordered cheap-o pocket diapers from China to use as waterproof backup when out and about... I plan to cut out the fleece except for a seam allowance and sew in a flannel pocket (fleece always leaks IME!).. It really cannot be any worse quality than if I sewed it myself and I will throw half of it away anyway (fleece lining, microfibre inserts... yuk!) 

I really need something non waterproof for in the house, Ds needs some air to his bottom.  I think we need at least 11 per day! Ha ha.  Maybe DH has some old shirts I can experiement with....  I will let you know how it goes. :)

#7 of 12 Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Yes, let me know how it goes Heather.  If you want something non-waterproof you can use the exact same pattern but use a fabric other than PUL for the outer layer.  Flannel would work, a woven poly or cotton would work (something with a tiny bit of stretch but not a stretchy fabric). I might suggest doing more than 2 layers for the soaker though...just to be on the safe side.  I guess you can also just try a few different combos until you get it how you like it!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#8 of 12 Old 08-18-2011, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

So I could use old shirts for the outer--something like cotton shirts with a collar (ie not t-shirts)??? and old prefolds or towels for the soaker?  And... elastic instead of FOE for the legs?  (Not sure where to get FOE or another stretchy fabric without ordering, I have already looked around locally. )  Do you think that would work?

#9 of 12 Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM

i used sassy cloth trainers and was very happy with them. She is a wahm here in the us and I don't know if she ships to europe but she might. She also was very willing to make them as little absorbent as I like. They either velcro or snap on the sides which is great for poo misses. Also they run about $6 a piece!!!  www.sassycloth.com

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#10 of 12 Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM

Do It Yourself EC has a lot of free sized patterns for training pants. The mom who does the blog EC'd so she designed these especially for EC'ers. Before I sewed my own training pants and was looking for cheaper options, I went to sites that offered trades. There are also great deals to be had on groups.yahoo.com/group/ECSwap Diaperswappers has a section for gently used training pants and a subsection for used EC gear. 

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#11 of 12 Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherr30 View Post

DS is 6.5 mo but BIG, he is wearing 9-12 month clothes. 

I have heard about Gerber training pants but don't know where to get them in Europe..... I'm so curious what everyone uses as back-up.  We have too many pee misses (and "leaky" farts.. hehe) to consider going diaper free around here, but it's getting to be a struggle getting DS to lie down on his back for frequent diaper changes.

Hi there! We happen to primarily use the Gerber ones ... I have a dozen and use them up in either a day or 3 days, depending upon how it's going for us. :) Can't you get them on Amazon in Europe?

I've also heard of folks cutting up a used washcloth into 3rds and sticking that into a disposable diaper...so I guess you could stick those in whatever you wish or sew them into what you've got? Sounds like a cheap alternative and the sizes are pretty darn close to what you'd need. I'd try to find them thrifted.

If it's cold, we usually use split-crotch pants that I sewed up myself, with a diaper cover and prefold folded inside it...our boy would hardly pee in it and would signal louder with a diaper than with anything. I would distract him with a zerbert on his belly while I wrangled the thing on. Or, EcaPants are good for not having to take the cover on and off (stays around the belly). Nowadays, just the Gerbers and pants.

Lastly, you could try a diaper belt/prefold belt with a folded prefold stuck in it. Not sure if your babe would be amenable, but you could change him standing up!

Looking forward to hearing what works for you!

Andrea & Kaiva 12 mos.

EC Simplified

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

#12 of 12 Old 08-27-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, just to update!

I sewed 1/3 prefold inside the baby underwear.  It is working great but I don't know how durable it's going to be as the underpants material is very fine and apparently I used too thick a needle.  I hand sewed the 2nd version and I think it was easier on the underpants fabric.  A baby in underpants is just so darn cute!

I sewed a pair of split crotch pants from the EC do it yourself website--thanks for the tip riboflavin. 

I have also got out some old Ritas rumps that I sewed for DD (incidentally they are pink so I had left them in the cellar to start with), they are snap closing and I like that I only used 1 snap (as opposed to 2 snaps on the ladderhill pattern) so they are very quick on and off.  I love that Rita's pattern is a pocket--I made these 2 years ago and was disappointed with them because I could not stuff enough into the pocket.. now I love them because I don't want much stuffing in the pocket!  I doctored a couple up to be "drop flap" like the EcaPants.. but I'm not sure it's any easier in our particular situation (which is that there are at least as many misses as hits, so as often as not the whole diaper needs changed and the drop flap never gets used.)

I'm really loving all these ideas and sure I'll try some more of them out as DS outgrows what I've got.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page