How to hold a boy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you hold a newborn (6 week) boy over the pot to pee?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#2 of 17 Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm...not getting any answers. shrug.gif

I'll add another question. How long do you hold baby over the pot waiting for him to pee before giving up and trying again another time?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#3 of 17 Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM

Well I don't have a boy but with DD I held her there until I could see her "bearing" down and trying to urinate. If nothing comes out after a couple tries or if she arches and fusses I would take her off and try again later. Lately, since she's older, she'll just try leaping off the potty into my arms when she's had enough or is done. Hope that helps!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#4 of 17 Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

i've been holding my boy over the sink and he doesn't do anything except look at himself in the mirror. he's very content to stay there. lol.gif

i was thinking holding a boy may be different, logistically, than holding a girl, iykwim.

#5 of 17 Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM

I'll tryto put up a couple of pictures tomorrow, but my boy was much easier to direct than my girl. And if he doesn't bear down after a second, try running the water.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#6 of 17 Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 PM

My dd never liked to be held over the sink but she doesn't mind her little potty or sitting on the toilet (as long as she gets to play with the toilet paper roll, haha). Maybe the mirror is distracting him from his business...? thumb.gif

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#7 of 17 Old 09-13-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelee View Post

My dd never liked to be held over the sink but she doesn't mind her little potty or sitting on the toilet (as long as she gets to play with the toilet paper roll, haha). Maybe the mirror is distracting him from his business...? thumb.gif

I think he's too young to sit on the potty, huh? I tried holding him over a child's potty but it didn't look like it would work. If he peed, it would go everywhere except in the potty. I have 3 older boys so I see how much they miss the mark. lol.gif

I'm holding him with his back to my chest and his legs in my hands. I think that's right.

#8 of 17 Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Haha, whoops! I was thinking he was 6 months, not 6 weeks. Yeah, a sink would be a good place to start then and that's a good way to hold him too when they are little, up against you since they can't sit up yet... I know holding them over a toilet is a strain on the back when they're that little. Sorry I couldn't be more help since I have no experience with boys yet. smile.gif

I don't know if we can link other websites but I found this one helpful and she has boys so that might give you some more ideas-

http://www.tribalbaby.org/EChowtostart.html

#9 of 17 Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 AM

I think back to chest sounds great.  Whatever you're both comfortable with, really.

Here is my son at 5 days in the sink.

5 days

And in the toilet

5 days

And my daughter at 4 days, but it would work with a boy just the same because her bum is lower than the splashguard.

4 days

Him on the potty at 8 weeks.

6e55.jpg 8 weeks on bbsp

and her on the potty at 8 or 10 weeks (she had less head control still)

so big

There are really a lot of options.  I don't seem to have any pictures right at 6 weeks.  Youtube has many videos if you search for elimination communication boy.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#10 of 17 Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Maybe I should get one of those larger potties. The one I have has a very small cup for catching. It didn't even really work for my older boys who could sit on it because the splash guard was in the way.

I can't hold him sideways anymore. He's way too heavy for me, at least 14 lbs. I'll keep up with him sitting up leaning against me.

#11 of 17 Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM

I have a boy who we ECed from birth and was lucky that he pees straight down, not up or out. Does your boy pee down, up, or out? In any case, I attached some photos of ideas below.

Also, for your timing question, we usually would take him based on having timed how often he goes after feeding and waking, and so we didn't have to wait too long. I agree with running water, singing helps relax him too, and relax yourself so he can "open up." We also would take him when he signaled that he had a wet diaper (by fussing/crying) and he'd pretty much go right away. If yours doesn't go within a couple minutes, try again later. :)

Here are some more position options, excerpted from my book:

1. I agree with holding him on the mini potty, facing you. We started with DS at 6 weeks old, 14 lbs, too! He had some neck control, but not much. See this pic:

Sitting DS on potty at 6 wks

2. I would set his feet on the edge of the sink (closest me) and shift his bottom backward (over the sink opening) and make the cue. He seemed to like this one and it wasn't too distracting. I call it bottom-back position. You can do it outdoors, over a pad, or at the sink. Here's what it looks like: (although my Cabbage Patch Kid is a girl! Haha)....

003-Bottom-Back-Position-Over-Sink.jpg

3. Here's a photo of standing position for boys:

004-In-arms-Standing-Position-Over-Sink-for-boys.jpg

4. Try this if you have a stand-up shower, esp for a spraying boy:

010-Classic-EC-Position-Squatting-in-Shower.jpg

5. EC position at the sink does have its benefits: he can practice aiming in a few months! :)

043-Aiming-the-Boy-Penis-Letting-Him-Practice-His-Aim.jpg

6. A trick to get the pee in the potty:

044-Aiming-the-Boy-Penis-On-the-Mini-Potty-or-Toilet-Seat-Reducer.jpg

7. This is our favorite outdoor position! You can use this hold over the sink, the big toilet (grip the bowl with your legs), or anywhere!

047-Aiming-the-Boy-Penis-Outside.jpg

8. Lastly, try a top hat potty held between your legs, and tilt it:

045-Aiming-the-Boy-Penis-On-the-Top-Hat-Potty.jpg

Hope these help you!!!!

There are 60+ more photos of position possibilities where this came from...but I think you get the idea! :)

Good luck!

Andrea

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

#12 of 17 Old 09-14-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

thanks andrea. he's more of an out pee-er, i think. i never thought of holding him in a standing position. duh.gif you'd think i'd have thought of that with 3 older boys (who need some lessons in aiming, too lol.gif).

he pooped in the sink once today but still no pee after several tries.

#13 of 17 Old 09-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Hmmm...okay. Well, with an outward peer, the standing one or one outside is good until there is some more body control...then invest in a potty that has a good tall splashguard, like the baby bjorn little potty or smart potty. And at that point, consider the one in my photo above that leans the baby's torso forward to get that stuff IN the potty. :)

For catching pees, have you tried timing your baby during diaper-free observation time directly AFTER both 1. Feeding & 2. Waking from sleep?

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

#14 of 17 Old 09-15-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaOlson View Post

For catching pees, have you tried timing your baby during diaper-free observation time directly AFTER both 1. Feeding & 2. Waking from sleep?

Not yet but it's on my agenda.

#15 of 17 Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Great! A tip is to not time randomly but to do it directly after Feeding or Waking. Otherwise, it's totally direction-less! :o)

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

#16 of 17 Old 09-15-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

i did it as soon as he woke this morning and he peed! joy.gif

right after feeding won't work very well because he usually falls asleep.

#17 of 17 Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM

wow thanks to all who posted pics--they are very helpful. my second dd is an ec graduate but I was not sure how to handle a boy's anatomy difference without a mess. so far I've caught two of ds's poops (he's only a week old) but no pees yet, so the pics really give me some good ideas!

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page